Leaky Tin, Help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Legged Josh

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just picked up a 11 foot v botttom for free, We filled it with water and it has 7 rivets leaking. This is the thinnest material I have ever seen on a boat I didnt have calipers or mics, but I would guess under .020 thick. What would you recomend to seal those few rivets without making this a costly or lengthly fix?
He just had a baby and has very little funds.
Thanks in advance guys!

One Legged Josh said:
A buddy of mine just picked up a 11 foot v botttom for free, We filled it with water and it has 7 rivets leaking. This is the thinnest material I have ever seen on a boat I didnt have calipers or mics, but I would guess under .020 thick. What would you recomend to seal those few rivets without making this a costly or lengthly fix?
He just had a baby and has very little funds.
Thanks in advance guys!

See several Steel Flex posts. Will provide a solid layer of protection and seal everything.

I had a thin one like that and it had a hole in the back from being drug on the ground. I used JB Weld on it. I had no problems with it for two years. It eventualy got wrapped around a tree like a bubble gum wrapper.

Tighten the rivets. Get one guy to hold a hammer, or hunk of steel on one side of the rivet, and give it a little whack on the other. If the rivet isn't damaged too badly, it will tighten up nicely, and the leak will be no more.

bassboy1 said:
Tighten the rivets. Get one guy to hold a hammer, or hunk of steel on one side of the rivet, and give it a little whack on the other. If the rivet isn't damaged too badly, it will tighten up nicely, and the leak will be no more.

This is definitely what I would do, and then I would do the Steel Flex. But replacing the rivets is the way to go for optimum seal. Grainger.com was where Bassboy told me to go, so follow his advice.

try and beat them back together or just replace them. it only takes a few minutes to drill the rivit out and replace it w/ alittle sealer, and it should cost him less than 10 bucks. i replaced several of mine with the cheap pop rivits and they've held up threw alot of abuse.

the steelflex and what not will cost more than just doing it the right way

Loggerhead Mike said:
try and beat them back together or just replace them. it only takes a few minutes to drill the rivit out and replace it w/ alittle sealer, and it should cost him less than 10 bucks. i replaced several of mine with the cheap pop rivits and they've held up threw alot of abuse.

the steelflex and what not will cost more than just doing it the right way

I totally agree. But he is also saying that the aluminum is paper thin - and Steel Flex will definitely help protect that AND seal after he's re riveted.

sparkbr said:
Just out of curiousity, .020" sounds more like it may be a steel boat. Are you sure it's aluminum?
Im sure its aluminum(magnet wont stick), It has a weird textured finish to it. I have a picture of it but nothing close up enough to show detail. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Attachments

• Findley 010.JPG
    Findley 010.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Klinks 038.JPG
    Klinks 038.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 391
I have had one like that. Not sure it is as thin as .020, but it is thin. The texture is stamping that gives the super thin metal some rigidity.

Latest posts