Need your opinion...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Large_Mouth_BA$$

Reaction score
I have recently inherited a 14' Meyers flat-V, (flat boat bottom, V-bow) that has been in my family for the last 20 some odd years that I'd like to modify and deck. The boat is in absolute pristine condition, no leaks or holes anywhere. Here's my issue though, the boat is only rated for 7.5 hp (I'd like to use my 9hp) and it feels very unstable to me to stand up in, especially up front. It's roughly 46" across the transom, about 42" across the bottom and about 52" at the oar locks and its roughly 16" from bow to stern along the gunwales. It also has 3 benches in it and absolutely zero bracing from side to side except for the benches. It has two ribs that run from the stern about ten feet toward the bow. Its very heavy aluminum (thick) but I'm worried about removing any of the benches. Also, the transom is very flimsy (much thinner aluminum) and even my 30lb thrust trolling motor flexes it, even after I replaced the wood inside and out with 3/4 marine grade plywood. So, I guess my question(s) is this...should I stick with this boat and go with low decks or ditch this boat and find find something more stable to work with? I like the standard jon boats but I need a boat that I can fish the smaller lakes and rivers here in Michigan as well as something I feel I can take out on Lake Michigan (not too far out that'd be crazy!) for perch fishing. I can weld and I have access to a welder, should I just weld in bracing and call it good? I'm gonna be the only one fishing out of this boat and I don't necessarily need all that room that 14' affords me. I haven't seen many of these boats around and I can't find any info on them anywhere but here's a few pics so you know what I'm working with. Keep in mind, this is NOT my boat in the pics, this is a 12' footer that I found on craigslist. I don't have any pics of my boat yet.

boat.jpg

boat2.jpg

I have a 1240 v & is stable.Not too sure why yours feel tippy.Pics would help alot.There are a number of ways you can strengthen the transom.Sounds like a nice boat.Post some pics.

If it's been in the family all those years, it would be a shame to give it up. I would advise against going smaller. You just may need it in weather some day and 14' isn't that big. There's a lot you can do with it. Look around on here & get some ideas. Being able to weld is a huge plus.

should be perfect for those small lakes and rivers, it's a lot like my boat (link below) and it's stable with 1-2 people, 3 gets crowded. as for lake michigan, i don't know that i'd even think about going out in my boat.

That is really an interesting boat. Sort of a dory style hull. Is your bottom like that or is it a v-hull? I can't imaging that it would be too tippy if it is like the one you show. But if it feels tippy keep the deck low. I wouldn't get rid of the seats and if it were my boat and it was a family hierloom, there would be no way I would get rid of it even if I bought another one. As far as the transom goes, I would take out that small piece of wood on the inside and cut a new piece out of oak or hardwood plywood that spans the whole back of the boat. Bolt it the whole way across.

Hey thanks guys for the replies, ya it is a "interesting" boat with the shape of the hull and all. It is just like the one in the pics, only 2' longer. It's flat from bow to stern, now V to it all all. I've decided I'm gonna keep it around and use at my dad's place...he lives on a 60 acre lake and its good for fishing over there. I found a good deal on a Tracker Guide V12. Its deeper than this boat by 10"s and I can still get to all the waters I want to be able to fish in. It is a family heirloom that started with my grandfather, then my cousin, to my mom, and now to me and I just found out that I'm inheriting a Meyers 12' semi-V from my grandmother on my dad's side. So, it looks like I'm about to have three boats to mod!

Again, thanks for the replies!

-Sean

Latest posts