Painting a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadmeat

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before but a search on "paint" and "painting" turned up 187 pages and I just don't have time to go through them all. Eventually, I want to buy a new G3 1544. The G3 is painted a baby poop brown color and, at least to my way of thinking, looks really crappy (pun intended). I know that when repainting an older boat it's advisable to etch or sand it in order to make the paint stick better, but is this necessary on a new boat that's never been in the water? Can I just paint over the new paint?

Just wipe it down and paint right over it.

You only need the etching primer when you have bare aluminum exposed.

that poop brown color is what makes the G3 stand out from all the rest... I would leave it like it is - it actually looks pretty good.

But like Quack said... just wipe it down and paint right over it. But take the stickers off or tape over them - you'll want to show that new boat off!

Thanks for all the great info, guys. Jeez, you've just got to love this website. I don't think there's a question that's ever been asked about boat mods that somebody on this forum didn't have the answer to.

Why don't you just buy a tracker grizzly instead and it will come green instead of brown.

TrackerTom said:
Why don't you just buy a tracker grizzly instead and it will come green instead of brown.

Because he wants a quality built boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry, I just had to do it. I usually refrain from stirring the pot when it comes to new guys to the board, but I just had to in this case. Besides, my joke was just a reverse of yours)

bassboy1 - I boat a new Tracker Grizzly last year and you are right the quality is not there on the boat I bought. I didn't realize until I started to modify my boat. There was a difference of 3" on one of my side ribs from the opposite one. This caused one big headache during my mods, but I was able to overcome.

bassboy1 said:
TrackerTom said:

Because he wants a quality built boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry, I just had to do it. I usually refrain from stirring the pot when it comes to new guys to the board, but I just had to in this case. Besides, my joke was just a reverse of yours)

Latest posts