Bending Diamond Plate Aluminum - Help Needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Ok, so I was able to get a perfect piece of diamond plate aluminum for building up my transom for my long shaft Yamaha. I have realized, with the help of my brother, that I will not be able to bend it. Or will I? Is there a way to do it - or do I have to bring it to a place? Will they even do it for me? Or will I have to buy a piece from them?

Check with a local machine shop and see how much they would charge to put it on a press/brake. It should only cost a few bucks.

It's 1/8th of an inch. I though about heating it, btu I dont want to mess with its integrity. And the machine shop should be able, but will they do it? Just wondering. Would like to do it myself if I could. Wondering if anyone here has.

.125 inch is a lot to bend without the proper brake. I have done up to .090, and that is real tough, and I couldn't do more than about a foot of bend.

bassboy1 said:
.125 inch is a lot to bend without the proper brake. I have done up to .090, and that is real tough, and I couldn't do more than about a foot of bend.

Yeah, exactly what I thought. There's no way to bend it within an 1.5" of another bend. They should be able to I think, lol.

If they can't make a bend that close bend your L & just weld the other peice to form your U.No problem bending diamond plate in a brake press.

ober51 said:
bassboy1 said:

Yeah, exactly what I thought. There's no way to bend it within an 1.5" of another bend. They should be able to I think, lol.
Actually, if they have a bending brake (as opposed to a press brake), depending on the clamp method, that is achievable. However, most shops I have been into don't have bending brakes for material of that dimension, as press brakes do such cheaper/easier.

Take it to a shop, and ask them if they can do it. Being that they do it every day, many shops have little tricks for doing such.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Does your local high school have a metals shop?

What an awesome idea - I work in a high school, haha. I am bringing that piece there and talking to the two guys that I get along with probably better than anyone else - they happen to be the tech and shop teachers! Wow, let's hope that does it.

I called a machine shop and the owner referred me to a nearby guy who has the tools to bend my aluminum...that is, if it's the right grade. I was unaware of the grading, but he said some will bend and others will snap. I am hoping mine's the former, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.