quick question about the boat +motor i just bought?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90milesproject

Reaction score
I just bought a tracker 1432 jon boat 2009 and i have a 9.9 hp lying around in the garage. I know it is rated for 6 hp do u think a 9.9 hp will hurt the boat, damage it in any way?

thank you

THis comes up all the time.

Will it hurt the hull? Probably not.
Will the boat handle it? Probably, will be pretty dang fast. Be careful trying to do any full speed turns.

All that said, if you over power the boat & then have an accident, you will be liable for damages & injuries and your insurance will not cover you.

Keep an eye on the transom for flex.From what I've seen on weights,looks like most 2stroke 9.9s are 10 to 30 pounds heavier than a 6.New boats maybe rated for 4 strokes wieght.In that case a 9.9hp 2 stroke and a 6hp 4 stroke would be close in weight.

I'm with ben to go on this one ,,weight wise your pretty much in the same ball park.But HP wise your'e in another zone...personally I would go for it,I would open it up slowly to full throttle in a straight run in a no waves day ,would slow it down while turning so it wouldnt flip on me....and would be VERY careful while accelerating you can easily flip a light boat with an overpowered acceleration, scared myself half to death a few times while doing it..... I'd drive it with the same nervousness as a virgin at a jailhouse dance....Mike

Latest posts