14 ft. Jon boat mod help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFWfishNhunt

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum! A buddy and I picked up an old jon boat from my girlfriends house. It has been sitting outside for over 20 years. So we brought it back to my house and cleaned it out. We tried to take off most of the old paint and then we power washed it. We filled the boat with some water and some of the rivets were leaking. So I picked up some stuff from academy to stop the leaking.

After we make it float :lol: we would like to add a front and back deck to it, but we don't really know how to do that. So I am hoping some of yall will help us out! The jon boat we have doesn't have the bench seats like I have been seeing on most of the threads. It has two swivel seats, one in the front and one in the back.

So any help would be greatly appreciated! I will post some pics of the boat later tonight!

Thanks,
Brandon

Welcome!

Post up some pics, and take a floor measurement so we know what you have to work with. If its 36" across the bottom or more, you can safely put a high deck on it. If not, you're best off keeping the deck low (for stability reasons).

Do some searches, and you'll find tons of information of fixing leaky rivets and sealing the rivets that cant be fixed.

I haven't measured the boat yet but I will this morning!

Here is some pics...

Attachments

• Photo0242.jpg
    Photo0242.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 750
  • Photo0243.jpg
    Photo0243.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 750
  • Photo0244.jpg
    Photo0244.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 750
Nice big boat!

Its good that the ribs go up the sides, so you dont have to worry about it tacoing in the water! Looks like there are some good options!

Most of the time, putting holes directly into the bottom of a boat isnt a great idea :wink:

I realize the screws dont go all the way through, but youre best off yanking them, fixing the holes, and decking over it (if you choose to do so) so that the seats will be fastened to wood, not the bottom of the boat.

I was kind of thinking I would leave them in so that they might give the deck more support?! Correct me if I'm wrong please! O and I have been seeing a lot of posts with people using Steel flex...what exactly is that used for? seal leaking rivets?

Thanks for all of you alls help, I really appreciate it!

Brandon

O and those seats were already like that, I would have never put them there! lol

If you're going to deck it, I'd do it (in my opinion) the right way, and take everything out and build a uniform support structure underneath