Console question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullmoon

Reaction score
Any of you put in a side console on a 14' jon boat (36" wide)? I'm contemplating it, but am concerned about taking up too much room, adding more weight, etc. Also I haven't seen too many 15 or 20 hp short shaft motors with controls. If I find a motor (still looking) that's a tiller steer, how difficult (and expensive) is it to convert to a console steer? Thanks

For that narrow of a hull I'd go with stick steering from the front. The console will take up 2/3 of the hull width and just be in the way, much less effect the CG.

Jamie

I dont see a console as being a good use of space in a 14' boat, especially a 1436. Not worth all the weight it will add & room it will take up.
Stick stear would be a better option, there are kits out there.

Those were my concerns as well. I just would love it if someone has figured out a way to pull it off so you can steer a 14' boat conventionally without taking up too much room. I'll bet someone here has a good solution, and has done it successfully. It may just be wishful thinking.

im putting one in mine but my boat is 52" across the floor and almost 6' across the top so i should have some room

Kind of a timely topic since I have thought about putting one in my boat during my rebuild - just not sure if it's worth the money. Anyone have a link to some affordable console kits for a 2002 9.9 Yamaha?

fullmoon said:
Those were my concerns as well. I just would love it if someone has figured out a way to pull it off so you can steer a 14' boat conventionally without taking up too much room. I'll bet someone here has a good solution, and has done it successfully. It may just be wishful thinking.

Conventional steering is a standard tiller steer motor.Stick steering is really the only light weight compact system.A 1436 is really narrow for a console.If you do a console I would keep it centered.If it's on the side the boat it will lean bad to the side really bad when you're under way.Someone setting in the front to off set the lean will twist the hull,unless it's made of really thick material.

Latest posts