Battery Location question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberflexx

Reaction score
I just have a question about the weight in the back of my Alumacraft 14 foot flatbotoom jonboat.

Will this be too much weight in the back?

I will have a 9.9hp motor, 3gallons of fuel, deep cycle battery, and a 260lb person steering the motor.

Do you suggest mounting the battery in the center or front of the boat?

I have never converted a jon before and dont want to make the back of the boat to heavy.

Cant hurt to move it forward. Are you using for a starting battery or for a Trolling motor?
If for a bow-mount TM, then moving it forward makes the most sense.
If using it for a starting battery, make sure to use the proper size cables to run any distance.
Another option is getting a small deepcycle. Academy has them, 1/2 the size of standard deep cycle & more than enough juice to start a 9.9.

The battery is for the trolling motor so its big. I might just move it to the front but how far forward should I go? 3/4 way to the front or in the middle?

I'd put it in the middle. If youre putting a front deck on it, itll weigh that side down, and sort of equal it out with the motor and its battery.

I'm looking to move my batteries up to the front as well. I'm going to have a bow and transom mount trolling motor. What size wire should i run from the front of the boat to the back to feed the transom mount trolling motor. Just want to make sure i do it right the first time. Thanks!

I'd go with at least a 6AWG wire. I moved my V hull's battery up front and I used 4AWG but I'm feeding all my electrics from that.

Latest posts