2nd 14ft jon mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Jones

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm addicted!

After modifying my 14ft monark( https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7167 ) I realized it was not the best boat for the kind of fishing I like to do. So, I traded just my boat for another guy's boat.

I will post pic's later but for now I need your help.

I am going to be fishing on a large lake this weekend. Mainly catfishing with jugs and trot lines and I need a quick fix for inside lights. I plan to wire the entire boat in the fall but for now I need something to last me over the summer.

I am going to buy some outdoor rope lights and wanted to know if any of you know how to convert AC to DC. I don't want to buy a converter so I would like to hook them directly to a 12v.

All advice welcome!

Hey Nick,

Try these

https://www.noveltylights.com/Product%20Index/custom_12v_rope_light_for_cars_a.htm

https://www.noveltylights.com/Spec_catalogs/12%20Volt%20min%20rope%20light%20Spec%20Sheet%20and%20Instructions.pdf

Looks like a low amp draw @ .45amps per foot and 5.5watts per foot of lighting. They also sell tracks, and clips for their lights as well...

These dont look that expensive and they are 12 volts so you dont have to convert AC to DC.

This is the way I would go..

Perfect for auto and boat applications. Mini Rope light is made of highly durable solid PVC tube with a series of .46 watt miniature bulbs spaced 1" apart. Please not that this product is high in wattage and amperage, it runs 5.5 watts per foot and .45 amps per foot and the max run is 16' which is 7 amps

save yourself the hassle and just get a couple of 18" bar leds from bluewater... they will light your whole boat up

russ010 said:
save yourself the hassle and just get a couple of 18" bar leds from bluewater... they will light your whole boat up

That is exactly what i was going to do this fall but didn't know if i would have the time before this weekedn. Can I get them at a store or will i have to order them? What do the cost? Are they easy to wire? I need them in two days and I have softball game tonight.

By the way nice new boat. I live in duck country so having an xpress is a big deal.

p.s. Ok I found them. Thanks man that is exactly what I am looking for and that is a great price too.
https://www.bluewaterled.com/index.php

here are some pics of the day I got it!

Attachments

• 205.JPG
    205.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 206.JPG
    206.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 207.JPG
    207.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 208.JPG
    208.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 209.JPG
    209.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 210.JPG
    210.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • gman201.JPG
    gman201.JPG
  • gman202.JPG
    gman202.JPG
Can anyone give me advice about hub kits/replacing bearings?

I am torn right now between replacing my hubs on my trailer with hub kits or just replacing the bearings.

I have never done it before and have no idea what route to go. another question is: with the kit, do i still have to pack my bearings or is it just ready to install? if i have to do all that it seems better to just replace the bearings.

If i replace the bearings how do i know what size or are they universal? I haven't even really looked into this project but last night i noticed the back of my wheels were covered so i think it is about time to do something

All advice is welcome.

If the hubs are in good shape I would say just to save some money and replace the bearings, not a hard job at all really. Good to see you getting the kid started off in the right direction :D 8)

It will be just as easy to replace the bearings and seals.The hub kits have to be packed anyway.This job is usually not that big of a deal.Check out this THREAD.If you need bearings and races,take your to some where like NAPA.Same with the seals.Pick up a brass drift or punch to drive out the races if you need to replace them.Don't take short cuts.If a bearing needs to be replaced,change the race also.They will last a lot longer and you may never need to replace them again.

ben2go said:
It will be just as easy to replace the bearings and seals.The hub kits have to be packed anyway.This job is usually not that big of a deal.Check out this THREAD.If you need bearings and races,take your to some where like NAPA.Same with the seals.Pick up a brass drift or punch to drive out the races if you need to replace them.Don't take short cuts.If a bearing needs to be replaced,change the race also.They will last a lot longer and you may never need to replace them again.

Thanks for the info about the hubs. I have another question. I want to replace a couple of Rivets (or should I say bolts with rivets) and I noticed on another post you said make sure they are solid. I am not sure he took your advice after seeing what is being used. I am really particular about doing things right the first time so if you could tell me exactly what I need that would be great.

Sorry for the slow mod. My wife and i are on a Dave Ramsey kick so I can't just go blow money on a boat like I did the first mod.

Nick Jones said:
ben2go said:

Thanks for the info about the hubs. I have another question. I want to replace a couple of Rivets (or should I say bolts with rivets) and I noticed on another post you said make sure they are solid. I am not sure he took your advice after seeing what is being used. I am really particular about doing things right the first time so if you could tell me exactly what I need that would be great.

Sorry for the slow mod. My wife and i are on a Dave Ramsey kick so I can't just go blow money on a boat like I did the first mod.

No problem.The factory that made you boat used solid rivets.If you use round or dome head rivet you will need a bucking bar.With flat head or flush rivets,you can use a shop hammer on the head and a small peen hammer on the flare end.Be gentle.It doesn't take a lot to set the rivets.You can get the rivets and bucking bar at wwwaircraftspruce.com or www.grainger.com .

Hope this helps.

Here's a pic of the rivets.Notice some are completely flat and some have a domed head.
solid_rivets.jpg

A couple questions: What exactly is the bucking bar for? And will a standard $12 hardware store rivet tool also work for those solid rivets? The store I bought the rivet tool from only carry these-
180px-Blindnieten.JPG

WhiteMoose said:
A couple questions: What exactly is the bucking bar for? And will a standard $12 hardware store rivet tool also work for those solid rivets? The store I bought the rivet tool from only carry these-
180px-Blindnieten.JPG

Those will cause issues with leaking, if they're below the water line.A bucking bar is used on the head of rivets to keep from damaging them and give the hammer something solid to buck the rivet against.Without a bucking bar there is a possibility of damaging the rivet,hole,or the metal around the hole.

Here is the tool I used for bucking rivets on aircraft.
buckblocks.jpg

I had a tough time understanding rivets. The ones WhiteMoose shows are blind or "pop" rivets and are installed with a rivet gun that pulls on the long shank. The advantage is that they can be installed from one side of the work. The disadvantage is that they are really two-part assemblies and they can leak. The rivets that ben2go shows are solid and are installed by inserting them through a drilled hole, using an anvil (bucking bar) to support the head, and hammering the non-head end until it shapes into a dome. Normally, the ball part of a peen hammer is used (so that's what a ball peen hammer is for!) since it makes it easier to round the rivet. No leaking since they are one-piece; but you need access to both sides of the work.

The $12 rivet tool is for blind rivets and won't work with solid rivets. Bucking bars are sometimes called anvils or rivet sets.

If you google, "how to peen a rivet" and "how to buck a rivet" you will find a couple of websites with pictures, etc.

Here is one https://www.ehow.com/how_5162546_use-rivets-hammer.html
Wikipedia has some good pictures if you scroll down a bit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet

Ken

Latest posts