drilling aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Bassin

Reaction score
i just got my new deck mount trollin motor and was just wondering do i need a special bit to drill through aluminum? Intructions call for a 9/32'' bit. I have a Tracker Grizzly 1448 all-weld.

I've been using regular bits. Though I am sure there are some specifically made for it, which others will answer. The bits, as my father said, "Were meant to be used, so we'll buy new ones if they get mangled."

Nope none.Just use a standard metal drill bit.Make sure it's new or at least sharp.Don't wanna over heat the bit or aluminum.

When grinding aluminum with a deburring bit or drilling with drill bits, use a little WD-40 from time to time on the bit. It will keep the aluminum from gumming up and clogging the bit. The WD-40 will keep the bit cool and also keep the removed material from sticking in the flutes.

no you dont need a special bit, but put some lube on it wd or some thing to help it from over heating and dont force it let the bit do the cutting.

common sense, but remember to keep the drill straight to avoid wallowing the hole out. The wd40 is a great idea.

Ii drilled through lots of aluminum tonight with a regular bit..its very soft and the bit goes right through. Just use a punch to set where you want the bit to go so it doesn't skip around on contact. Any lube (as stated before) makes it go a little smoother but its not 100% necessary.

Latest posts