redoing a 1979 14 foot mirrocraft my dads old boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewit34

Reaction score
i inherited this boat a few years ago and am planning on restoring it im gonna take out the bench seats and put in a floor carpet it i plan i setting it up to oar troll for walleyes and muskie since we cannot motor troll on the lake were on cause its a class A muskie lake here... but i plan on putting a 40 horse 4 stroke anyone had any experiences with the smaller 4 strokes good and bad.. ive had experience with the bigger ones... any imput is appreciated.. thanks., ill try to post pics as i go ill be starting as soon i make room in the garage.

:WELCOME:

We need pics of the inside of the boat.Some boats will collapse if the internal structure isn't right and the benches are removed.

well congrats on the boat and get us some pictures so we can help if you want any ideas. i love fishing walleye, we do pretty good in mn with them.

im not worried about the collapsing of it... i know what to take out and what not to... cause i decked out the front once when i was younger and its rotting since i didnt have the money back then for treated lumber.... i just want a basic model it is a mirrocraft deep fishermen... yes that old boat has boated us tons of walleyes... and this year my biggest of my life a 28.5 inch pig... i will get a pic of it when i get time been working alot lately... so if you have a good floorplan of one thats basically what im looking for... for ideas...

stevewit34 said:
im not worried about the collapsing of it... i know what to take out and what not to... cause i decked out the front once when i was younger and its rotting since i didnt have the money back then for treated lumber.... i just want a basic model it is a mirrocraft deep fishermen... yes that old boat has boated us tons of walleyes... and this year my biggest of my life a 28.5 inch pig... i will get a pic of it when i get time been working alot lately... so if you have a good floorplan of one thats basically what im looking for... for ideas...

Even if you do have the money for treated lumber, don't use it. Treated wood has traces of copper in its construction and will corrode with aluminum quickly if exposed. Just use regular wood, with some quality water sealer or spar varnish, it will look and behave as well, and cost less. You don't want corrosion, no fun there.

As for ideas, that's the great thing about this site, visit the conversion forum, you will spend days on just perusing the threads. Plus, we can't tell you what to do with the plan, that's the fun of it - build your own! We can help with issues that arise, or suggestions about wiring, lights, etc. THe plan depends on the build of your boat, and your imagination.

I've got a 1974 14 Deep Fisherman which I've done a few things to... mostly slowed down because I've been doing alot of fishing instead of working on the boat. Here's my thread for some ideas, looking forward to see yours as well.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7861

My 1974 is rated for a 35HP max, and I have a 15 on it... with 2 people it still runs close to 20MPH. Installing a 40HP of todays age is going to be ALOT stronger than a 35hp of the late 70's not to mention the extra weight of a 4-stroke. I'd bet a 25 will be plenty for you, might be able to save some $$.

Latest posts