Need some help guys.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbmissouri

Reaction score
I just bought a jon boat guys and would love to modify it with some elevated fishing seats. I would like to do a deck in the front with storage underneath. Got a new baby at home so need to do it as cheap as possible. Would like to stil keep it kinda nice tho.

:WELCOME:

What is the floor width of your boat?Anything under 42 inches is considered to narrow to deck and is tippy.You can still use elevated seats.Use the pin style so you can keep the seats low until your ready to fish and then add the seat post to elevate.

I prefer structural aluminum angle 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1/8".If they ask for a specific type of aluminum try to get 6061 T6.Check around at metal dealers and scrap yards.The stuff at Lowe's and Home Depot is poor quality and very expensive.Make sure your deck wood is not pressure treated.It contains copper and will corrode aluminum.I use standard exterior plywood and a quality water sealer.

Wow man i bought pressure treated wood guess i wont use that. Im a plumber and have seen what happens when you put two different metals together. Do you aluminum weld your deck bracing on or just bolt it on

Robbmissouri said:
Wow man i bought pressure treated wood guess i wont use that. Im a plumber and have seen what happens when you put two different metals together. Do you aluminum weld your deck bracing on or just bolt it on

A lot of people have used rivets. I will be using some water sealed wood, strong ties, and stainless steel self tapping screws.

Robbmissouri said:

Most use pop (cherry) rivets because they are low profile.Others have used stainless steel button head bolts and lock nuts.Using bolts you'll need relief holes so the plywood won't sit on the bolt heads and become unstable.

Latest posts