10 foot flat bottom motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepdriver

Reaction score
I got a 10'x39" flat bottom with a v nose rated for 5 horse, will it handle my 9 1/2 Johnson? Should I trade the 9/12 for a 5 horse? Will this v nose take away the stability of a traditional flat bottom? I don't know much about these little boats only ever been on an 8ft jon boat. The bulk of my boating was in ski boats. Thanks guys for any help or suggestions.

:WELCOME:

Those little boats are unstable because they are so narrow.I wouldn't run a 9.9.My light Gamefisher 5HP is to much for my 10 footer.

Your boat is a foot wider than Ben's, so you may be just a little more stable? But still 9 1/2 may be a little much for it. I have ran my 7.5 Ted Williams on my 1031, it gets pretty dang fast, pretty dang quick.... And makes the steering VERY sensitive. If you do run the 9 1/2 on it don't forget to wear your life jacket. As far as the v-bow being less stable than a square bow I can't help you there, that's why the ? is at the end of the first sentence.

just stay out of the throttle and you'll be fine. not going over a half throttle would be close to a 5hp wide open wouldnt it?

if you do decide to trade i got a nice little 3hp we can trade for :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the v-nose are more tippy but its not like a canoe. as long as yall arnt dancin around on top of the seats you'll be good. it does take alittle practice to properly take a leak off the side though :lol:

Loggerhead Mike said:
just stay out of the throttle and you'll be fine. not going over a half throttle would be close to a 5hp wide open wouldnt it?

if you do decide to trade i got a nice little 3hp we can trade for :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the v-nose are more tippy but its not like a canoe. as long as yall arnt dancin around on top of the seats you'll be good. it does take alittle practice to properly take a leak off the side though :lol:
I would go ahead and use the 9.5hp maybe reinforce the transom if needed.

Thanks for the replies! I ran into some running issues yesterday and after 10 hours of beating my head against the wall, I'm an outboard mechanic. :D Had bad fuel pump, gunked up carb, and wasted water pump. Fuel pump was a little tricky to rebuild but got figured out. Now It runs like a champ. My new concern is that people have told me that I can jump this little motor to 15 horse with a carb change. I don't know if it's that simple but I have a newer style carb and fuel pump and this little motor screams!! I put a manual Tach on the flywheel and its twisting just under 7000 Rpms!! I think some ones done some work to this motor, and I'm starting to shy away from putting it on this little boat. I found a three horse and I'll probably save this 9 1/2 for the 14' I want :lol:

As far as a life jacket, I always wear one even when I look like a fool ( I swim like a stone). And I'm gonna wire in a kill switch to attach to me just incase I do run this motor but probably gonna run trolling motor for now. Going to the lake in 1/2 hour. Thanks again guys for the replies.

Latest posts