NEED SOME ADVICE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn Hook

Reaction score
I have a 10 ft jon boat that is 31 inches wide in front and 42 inches wide in back the guy before me bought it to fix it and he did i guess. It is an

aluminum boat and had some cracks so he rhino lined the whole thing.
Now after i have been fishing like crazy with it taking average of 5 people at

a time on it the rhino line is starting to come off slowly and the cracks are opening up and it is starting to leak. We can still go fishing but with the

almost all the way up our feet. We have no trailer so the pain is picking it up at the end and dumping it then putting it in the truck bed.
So should I peel off all of the rhino lining take a

look at the actual aluminum boat or just keep patching patching over and over. I am also not sure if it would be

easier to peel off all the rhino line and keep the aluminum because i think the rhino line is what is making it so heavy.

The bed coating is heavy.I would remove it and start over.Use a heat gun to remove most of it.The rest will probably need to be ground down and sanded off.

From what you describe, and without the benefit of pictures, I advice you to get a bigger boat. There is no way 5 people (on average? meaning sometimes 4, sometimes 6?) should be in a 10' boat...with water up to their feet.

The best way to get all that rhinoliner out was to use a heat gun and scraper, but it was time consuming as heck. I would use gluvit on the inside and steel flex on the outside, after reriveting or welding. But you could likely get a 12' boat on craigslist for under 200 if you look around. 14' boats sometimes go for as little as 300-400, and if you are lucky even cheaper. You mentioned that 5 people have been in the boat, so lifting it shouldn't be a problem. But even those 12,14,16 foot boats are generally not rated for 5 persons over 1000 pounds. I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but we don't want you having a bad accident with your family or friends.