Storm damaged boat/progress on new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronostrils

Reaction score
First off, thanks to all for allowing me to join. I've been a lurker for sometime and helped me plan out the first boat but:

Last month Mother Nature wanted to take the boat for a spin. In the picture the boat was originally sitting to the left of the black truck, picked the boat up and slammed it back down. The whole outfit was less than one year old and the outboard had 2.5 hrs on the clock. Putting a big ding and 4" slice in the hull.
Fubar.jpg

The insurance adjuster instantly claimed it a loss and let me keep the outfit w/o buying it back from them. So I sent the outboard off to a mechanic to make sure none of the internals were knocked lose and searched for a new boat. The prior boat was set up for cat fishing and this is going to be the same.
lowe1448m.jpg

It's nice that it worked alright for you. being the other rig was basically new, you now have to start over to get this one ready. good luck and hope the outbaord works fine.

Yes it's a 1448m w/a 15" transom and just simply amazed on the amount of extra room there is compared to the 1436. There are a few people interested in buying the old boat for a farm pond for the kids just imangine they would just knock out the dent and weld up the hole.

glad it worked out. Ins is cheep on this boats and it is good you had it . I have seen mine move so much in storms the i cringe.

Nice new ride, sucky way to get a new ride but that is what insurance is for.
I have the 1440 version of this boat, I like it but wish I had gotten the 1448 instead. I think you will be much happier with a 1448 vs the 1436, lots more room and a lot more stable.

Picked up the boat from the welder yesterday, they fabbed up a TM mount and navigation/spotlight mount made up out of 3/16" alum plate. A little sanding and paint should make it look good.

TMbracket.jpg

ober51 said:
If you dont mind me asking, what does welding like that cost?

In this area welders usually charge $50-70 an hour, a larger shop will charge less and small shops more. Ask if they custom Alum work. I just go to them with an project and then we both start throwing ideas around and how many hours it would take.

nitronostrils said:
ober51 said:
If you dont mind me asking, what does welding like that cost?

In this area welders usually charge $50-70 an hour, a larger shop will charge less and small shops more. Ask if they custom Alum work. I just go to them with an project and then we both start throwing ideas around and how many hours it would take.

Thanks, I need to get out there and price around.

Couple more pics of the Lowes progress.

This one got the front deck sanded/primed/painted and installation of TM and navigation light.

IMG_0179.jpg

Next were the rod holders, decided instead of drilling through the hull like I did with the other boat, made up some sides out of 1/2" plywood covered with Home Depot outdoor carpet. The holder mounts are made up of 1/4" steel and a 1/4" plate behind the plywood for durablity and 1/2" round bar. Haven't mounted them in yet waiting on some leds from bluewaterled.

IMG_0180.jpg

Ok Im trying to put some sides in my 1448 jon - how do you mount them to the boat? I didnt want to start drilling unnecessary holes all over the boat.

I'm using the ribs that run up the sides to secure the panels, drilled 3 holes each rib and going to use a #10 sheet metal screw.

IMG_0181.jpg

nitronostrils said:
Couple more pics of the Lowes progress.

This one got the front deck sanded/primed/painted and installation of TM and navigation light.

IMG_0179.jpg

Next were the rod holders, decided instead of drilling through the hull like I did with the other boat, made up some sides out of 1/2" plywood covered with Home Depot outdoor carpet. The holder mounts are made up of 1/4" steel and a 1/4" plate behind the plywood for durablity and 1/2" round bar. Haven't mounted them in yet waiting on some leds from bluewaterled.

IMG_0180.jpg

I'm liking that golight on the front. Is that this one with the shaft shortened?
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0069045020723a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=go+light&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Thanks,

Tom