Steel Flex is on !!!! Bit of a problem tho ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunker777

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well the steel flex went on yesterday and I was away at a meeting all day for work so when I came home she was nice and hard !

One thing that kind of concerned me was the color.... it well... CHANGED color ? It was green, wait..."olive drab" when we put it on but it dried brown ? Except for on one spot. We put 2 semi thin coats on... and deemed that ok. Put the first coat on... waited for about 3 and a half hours and then put the second on.
Its weird ! I also noticed in some spot where we had layed it on thick and it was running ( vertical areas ) that there was kind of a brown line at the front of the run... Heres some pics to show ...

Here you can kind of see the brown line but its kind of blurry...
CIMG0448.jpg

And here are the rest..
CIMG0450-1.jpg

CIMG0449-1.jpg

CIMG0445-1.jpg

So ya, I guess Im ok with the color... seeing as its beneath the water line... but still its kind of weird. It fees like it has dried properly.... we are still going to wait another day before flippin it over just to make sure its cured completely.

Another step closer to a finished product !!!! =D> =D> =D>

Same thing happened to me. First time because I didnt mix the pigment in part 2 all the way before doing anything. The second time because the sun messes with it I think. I have a couple darker gray spots as well. Youll know when its dry - if its tacky a while later, youre in trouble. I hope its hard, because once it is, youre all set.

ober51 said:
Same thing happened to me. First time because I didnt mix the pigment in part 2 all the way before doing anything. The second time because the sun messes with it I think. I have a couple darker gray spots as well. Youll know when its dry - if its tacky a while later, youre in trouble. I hope its hard, because once it is, youre all set.

Well my grandpa assured me he mixed the pigment all the way ! He followed the instructions exactly.... Also, we did it inside... left it over night and then around noon he moved it outside. Tonight when I went there... about 24hrs after it was put on... its definitely ROCK SOLID.... I ran my hands ALL over it and didn't find any sticky or tacky areas. Just the discoloration.... Oh well.... I guess its all in the learning process... Maybe next time it will work right.... Listen to me, "next time"... Im already planning my next restoration and I'm not even finished this one !

Thanks Ober51 by the way.... you've been a big help !

Lunker777 said:
ober51 said:

Well my grandpa assured me he mixed the pigment all the way ! He followed the instructions exactly.... Also, we did it inside... left it over night and then around noon he moved it outside. Tonight when I went there... about 24hrs after it was put on... its definitely ROCK SOLID.... I ran my hands ALL over it and didn't find any sticky or tacky areas. Just the discoloration.... Oh well.... I guess its all in the learning process... Maybe next time it will work right.... Listen to me, "next time"... Im already planning my next restoration and I'm not even finished this one !

Thanks Ober51 by the way.... you've been a big help !

Well thats good news, because the second time I did my SF, I had to scrape a lot off, it was awful. But the stuff really is amazing, so I am sure you will love the function, if not the form.

NO problem, if you have any problems or questions, keep posting or PM me, I am more than happy to help you out. WHat I dont know I will tell you and I am sure others will be able to help. Good luck!