lets talk about angle grinders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_loz

Reaction score
So I am going to purchase an angle grinder today to try and speed the paint removal process on my boat. I have been using the wire brush cup on my drill and that isnt cutting it. Ive narrowed it down to three models of angle grinder, all of which are 4.5" models.

Dewalt 7.0 amp 4.5" for $59.99

Dewalt 10.0 amp 4.5" model for $79.99

Porter-Cable 7.5 amp 4.5" model for $39.99

Now I refuse to buy cheap power tools anymore hence my narrowing it to Dewalt and Porter-cable..I also saw a Bosch that was nice, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend...

Is it worth it to step up to the 10.0 amp model?

On the little grinders I always like more amps,because they're easy to burn up.I have a milwaukee myself which is 10 amps.Also make sure the on-off switch is friendly for you.I liked the on-off switch on the Milwaukee I bought.Since I bought mine Milwaukee has changed their switch location,which I don't like.

Yeah I just went and played with them over at Lowes. The larger of the two Dewalt models (10 amp) has the trigger on the bottom of the unit, vs the side of the unit like the other dewalt and the porter-cable.

They also had a Hitachi that wasnt too bad and it came with a plastic case, which for some reason none of the porter cable or dewalts did...

Also - what type of wire brush are people using with the angle grinders? The cup or the wheel?

daniel_loz said:
Yeah I just went and played with them over at Lowes. The larger of the two Dewalt models (10 amp) has the trigger on the bottom of the unit, vs the side of the unit like the other dewalt and the porter-cable.

They also had a Hitachi that wasnt too bad and it came with a plastic case, which for some reason none of the porter cable or dewalts did...

Also - what type of wire brush are people using with the angle grinders? The cup or the wheel?

I have a Makita that my dad bought about 15 years ago that has been absolutely abused and still runs like a top.

When I stripped paint I used both styles of brushes. You'll find they both have their uses in certain places. The nice thing about some wheel brushes is that they can be reversible. As you strip paint, the bristles will bend away from the direction of rotation and strip less paint. I found that by flipping the wheel over every few minutes I could strip paint MUCH faster than just keep it on the same way.

A few people warned me that using a wheel or cup brush on a grinder would eat right through the aluminum, but I found it to be perfect. Stripped the paint and scuffed for the new stuff all in one swoop. :D

The guy at lowes said the same thing about the wire wheels/cups eating right thru the aluminum. He tried to steer me towards something called a flapper disc? It was like a wheel with lots of small flaps of stiff sand paper attached in rows all around it. It seemed way more abrasive than wire brushes to me so I went the route of the wire brush cup. I may go back and pick up a wheel, but I am going to have to go to home depot and see if they have the crimped style vs the knotted style.

I ended up getting the 10 amp 4.5" Dewalt. I liked the trigger more on it and I asked a good friend of mine who is a general contractor and he said thats the small commercial model. He had the same one and has been using it pretty hard without any issues so I trusted his judgement.

I already used it tonight when I was replacing the transom in my smaller 14ft boat. I honestly dont know what I ever did without it. I used it to cut off about 6 rusted bolt heads that refused to come out because they were so rusted.

I am partial to porter cable.I dropped a cordless drill from 32 feet off a Clemson colledge dormitory roof,and it survived.I been a fan ever since.My dewalt didn't take a 12 foot drop off a garage roof.

ben2go said:
I am partial to porter cable.I dropped a cordless drill from 32 feet off a Clemson colledge dormitory roof,and it survived.I been a fan ever since.My dewalt didn't take a 12 foot drop off a garage roof.

ahh, the old drop test :lol:

Ive got two Porter-Cable finishing nailers that are amazing. I just started buying Dewalt power tools a while back and like their quality. I havent had one let me down yet. I really didnt like the size of the Porter-Cable angle grinder once I compared it to the Dewalt; I didnt check the actual specs, but it seemed heavier and was definitely larger with a much cheaper feeling and poorly placed on/off switch.

If you are buying for a lifetime get a Metabo, Hitachi or Makita. If you are buying for a project or two get a DeWalt, Milwalkee or Porter Cable. Go look at what welding shops sell if you want an idea of quality. IMHO Dewalt is junk, Black and decker is beyond contempt, almost as bad as the Chinese junk imports.

I have the Hitachi 4" and a Makita 3" and they are very alive. The Dewalt died after a year and I wouldn't even trust putting a wheel on a B+D.
Jamie

I looked at a Hitachi they had there as well, but it was made pretty cheap and they didnt have a higher end version. It was $44. It caught my eye because it actually came with a case.

Remember this when shopping for tools.There are home owner grade that may get used a few times a year and then there are professional grade that are meant for the guys that beat on them everyday.Most big manufactures produce both home owner and pro power tools.Hitachi,Porter Cable,and Dewalt are the ones that I know do this.

It was that homeowner grade vs professional grade that made me go for the 10 amp version instead of the 7 amp version. The 10amp version was the start of their professional grade line. It seemed a lot beefier. Im just really lost as to why they dont offer cases with their angle grinders (the 18v cordless version has one). The Porter-Cable didnt come with a case either. I HATE not having a case for my power tools...

You can't beat a Milwaukee, they are professional grade all the way.

As for doing the actual work, I found that a wire wheel works the best.

Well I did notice the wire wheel really start ripping into the aluminum - more so than I would like it to...it seemed to be gouging almost. I am going to try a fine grit sanding disc with one of those rubber backing plates if I can locate one.