Gluvit and fiberglass over coats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Reaction score
Has any one ever tried to Gluvit your boat and then try to epoxy/resin fiberglass over it? Reason I ask is that I have some bent places on my bow and thought tonight that after I Gluvit then I could built up the front of the bow in layers of expoxy/resin to fix the bent places and also re-enforce it so I can ram banks again :D

The resin would soften up the gluvit and possibly cause it to run.Plus the heat between the two mixing could cause a flash fire from the chemical reaction.You could bead in loose weave fiberglass with gulvit,but you would need a wet coat,press in the glass cloth,then lay on the gluvit and use a solid laminate roller to press the gulvit through the glass cloth.Prep work will be crucial to making everything stick together.Epoxy has a hard time sticking to aluminum and will eventually delaminate.

I guess I was not clear in my question.

I want to Gluvit my boat. After it has hardened I wanted to start to build resin/glass up in an area.

Are you saying that after it is hardened that the heat of the resin would melt the Gluvit again?

Wildman said:
I guess I was not clear in my question.

I want to Gluvit my boat. After it has hardened I wanted to start to build resin/glass up in an area.

Are you saying that after it is hardened that the heat of the resin would melt the Gluvit again?

Yes,the heat and chemicals in the epoxy could soften up the Gluvit and make a really big mess.I haven't looked at the MSDS for Gluvit or the epoxy you plan to use,but certain type of chemicals in those coatings can react and possibly cause a flash fire.I would be very hesitant to lay epoxy over Gluvit.If you are looking to mold over it,you could use peel ply to protect the Gluvit coated surfaces.The peel ply will not stick to epoxy or Gluvit and should peel off like paper on the back of a decal.

Latest posts