why cant i have a casting deck on a 1232?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frizz1

Reaction score
why cant i have a casting deck on a 1232? is there a way i can have one, regardless or not i plan to build 1 but is there any tips i can have about making one on such a skinny boat. i really want one but is it going to tip over if lean over too much? i weigh 112 pounds. can i make the boat more stable?

well it sound like you will be putting a casting deck on and its all up to you. but wear a life jacket the first time you try it out at least and you should do what everyone told me and get it in the water as is and stand on the front seat and see if you feel comfortable at that height and if you do keep the deck as low as you can for balance. post pictures so we can see you progress and good luck and be safe.

sure, you can put a deck on it. maybe a hot tub and a couch and a even a tall entertainment stand with a 60" tv and a satellite dish on top. and as to how to make it more stable, after you do all your mods mount your boat on top of a 20' pontoon boat, that will make it stable.

advice is just an opinion based on experience. on this site there is plenty of experience, that is why it has been suggested not to put in raised decks. there is an old saying that applies here: "wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement." you speak of your plans as though no matter what advice you get you are still going to do what you want, so good luck, and definitely wear a life jacket, maybe two.

if you want a raised deck, i would only deck your front bench forward for storage and what not. when you get 2 people on there with a full deck its going to be real easy to fip when somebody looses there ballance or try's to rip the jaw off a fish

Put you some of these out on both sides.....

closeup2.jpg

:lol:

If you are going to build one anyway, even after everyone suggests not to....Why ask for advise on HOW to build it? Then i'm sure once you build it, you'll be asking advise on how to make it more stable.....which like grizzly said, there really is no practical(note the outriggers above) way to make a jonboat more stable than it already is.

Don't do it man! You will waste your time and $$$ and then hate it. One small move and your in the drink. If you do it you will be fighting to balance yourself the whole time and you will not enjoy fishing or whatever your doing.

Use the boat as is and save $$$ for the next one.

If you HAVE to have a raised casting deck you really need a bigger boat. I have heard of people fastening wide PVC pipes to the sides sealed at both ends kind of like pontoons. It all seems to me more work than just getting a bigger boat that would actually work out.

Like Chad said, stand on the seat and walk around a bit and you will quickly find out why a casting deck is a bad idea on a boat that small.

Even if it doesn't immediately roll the chance of swamping a boat that size goes up exponentially. Been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt (and that was without a deck).

Is there alot of diferent posts about this???
Maybe I'm just going nuts...been a long day.

frizz1 said:
why cant i have a casting deck on a 1232?

Did you miss the memo the first 5 times? IT'S TOO NARROW.

frizz1 said:
regardless or not i plan to build 1

Well then what are you asking for assistance for? You made up your mind and decided against SEARCHING the site before asking questions. You made 3 threads all on the same subject, all with the same advice and you still can't understand it. I don't know how much more clear it can be without spoon feeding you all of your information.

Do what you want, we won't say "i told you so" or anything :roll:

....Oh yeah, use the SEARCH FUNCTION, it's there for a reason :idea:

chill out a little bit. you can do whatever you want. but everyone here has a lot of experience and really want to see you flip your boat. i think you would rather have your boat without a deck then a boat at the bottom of the lake. be happy with what you have. tons of people fishing out of canoes would be incredibly happy with that boat the way it is