Oh yes you can epoxy two pieces of aluminum!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Reaction score
Disclaimer:

I am a redneck that has an idea from time to time. My ideas sometimes work, and sometimes they don't. Do not attempt any of my ideas as authority or you might find I am full of it most times ;)
_________________________________________________________________________________

So, the idea was how to bond two pieces of aluminum. Most would say it can't be done. Well, I think I almost have figured out how to do it. So far, the two pop rivets and a Magical Wildman Mix (half JB Weld and half two part locktight metal/wood 5 minute expoxy) seems to be working.

These two pieces are bonded together flat surface to flat surface and I can not get it to fail by hand; by the view of the joints it didn't even crack with a lot of hand pressure pushing and pulling on the angles. I put some mix in between the two pieces and clamped them together. I am letting it go over night and I will put it in a vise and see how much pressure I can put on it until it fails. But, once I join two pieces with proper ears, cut and places rivets on 4 points on a joint and bonded with my Magical Wildman Mix I think I have answered the question. How do you bond two pieces of aluminum so it is structurally strong? Put some Magical Wildman Mix on it!

3639188007_6690e989b3_o.jpg

3639997686_ed3b0c6c75_o.jpg

3639187989_fb4a910f7d_o.jpg

Let me see.
You have 2 rivits,JB weld, lock tight and then the metal epoxy.
Why all the different products?
Wouldn't just one of these products be good?
Not real sure what your trying to do :?

Zum said:
Let me see.
You have 2 rivits,JB weld, lock tight and then the metal epoxy.
Why all the different products?
Wouldn't just one of these products be good?
Not real sure what your trying to do :?
+1 Why?

I'm pretty sure that 2 stainless bolts (or even just large rivets) would serve the same purpose. :lol:

I am confused also.Is this in regards to the other thread where we were discussing bonding Gluvit coated aluminum to fiberglass and epoxy?Metal epoxies are very different than fiberglass epoxies.

My ideas sometimes work, and sometimes they don't.

I am paranoid because the last time I did this mod. my ribs failed and hence the reason for me to have to do this rebuild. I am trying to make sure that at each joint I have a structural joint that does not fail. With me fiberglassing in this sole and decks, my supports have to be a fail proof fix so I don't have to cut decks out to get to a failed support.

I ordered 2 lbs of HTS-2000 last night. I am just going to rivet and braze the joints and be done with it. I was trying to save some pennies, but saving pennies is what got me here in the first place.

So, never mind the "patch" job. Although it worked :D

wildman
Let me know how the Hts-2000 works.I have tried the alum. rods at home depot with little to not good results white map gas.

mike