1980 14' Sylvan Alaskan Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Well as the debacle continues on my other boat with it's registration, I decided to buy another boat. I found what I thought was a good deal, and went to Rochester, NY to get it. I also really wanted to go the International Jazz Festival with my better half, so it was a win-win.

I went v-hull this time and purchased a 14' Sylvan Alaskan. The year is 1980, as is the motor, a very good running 25 HP 1980 Johnson, model number J25RSCA. It's got a cool second mini handle, more on that later. The setup also came with a Tee Nee trailer, in pretty good shape, though the lights would come on but the blinkers, and brake lights would not work (suggestions welcome). The lenses need to be replaced, but I'm not worried about that at this point (might swap trailers although this is a bit more heavy duty). Tires are in good shape, and it has a spare (I drove it 400 miles, so they are all set, haha). He threw in oars, seats, cover with wooden reeds, anchor and rope, two stroke oil, etc etc. The boat is in good shape no leaks, structurally sound, and the motor fired up on the second pull the first time, the first pull thereafter. It pumped water really well, idled well, and went WOT without problems. The guy couldn't have been any nicer, without a deposit he held the boat for me for a week, had notarized bill of sale waiting, registration for boat and trailer ready to sign over to me, and anything else I needed.I guess you could say he was upgrading...as he just bought a 46' Microyacht. Micro...at 46'?!?!

It's late, and I don't have pictures taken now, but I will post soon (rain...again...in Jersey). 20 days in June, only 3 without rain. I don't remember moving to Seattle or London? I really want to just fish out of this the rest of the summer, and then next year worry about any mods. Looks like transom could use a replacing if I wanted, and some paint, and I would love to keep all colors original if possible. This boat is solid, can handle up to a 35 HP, so I am not worried at all. I think once I get the Mon Ark registered, if that's possible, I will sell her and that other revamped trailer to offset the costs and likely put money into my pocket when all is said and done with all these boats and motors.

My apologies for no pictures, but I figured I would get a head start on the post. I'm excited again, as this one I will likely take out into the back bays in NJ, as the power is probably good enough on nice days (I've seen 12 footers in there with 6 HPs, lol).

I haven't taken any pics, but I forgot that I had a few from the PO. It looks as if there was a transducer on the stern, port side. I've never owned a fish finder, so I am not completely sure - but the wire is cut after it enters the boat. Those seats are in decent shape, so they will stay this year. I will have to replace that fake wood finish, its actually paper over what looks to be ply. I am guessing I will have to replace all that wood, too, next year.

Strangely, after I opened up that first aid kit, and found 2 spark plugs and a carb rebuild kit. I am unfamiliar with the contents pf a kit, what would be in it? Wondering if it was pre-emptive, necessary and not put in, or just parts of the kit were used. I will take a pic and post. It was new in 2006, so it's not that old.

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,470
  • download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,470
  • download-3.jpg
    download-3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,470
Took some today with the camera phone, surprisingly decent.

Just wondering what the blank metal plate is on the seat? Anyone have any clue?

Attachments

• 0623091325.jpg
    0623091325.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,426
  • 0623091326.jpg
    0623091326.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,426
  • 0623091326a.jpg
    0623091326a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,426
  • 0623091326b.jpg
    0623091326b.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,426
  • 0623091327.jpg
    0623091327.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,426
Zum said:
A hole(covered)that was used to mount the seat?
Nice boat.

Thanks, Zum. I never thought about it - could be. Might be a good place to also stamp the HIN?

Yeah, the boat needs some work, but all cosmetic. The outside paint is flaking, and leaves my fingers white when I touch it. I went to wash it in the driveway, bad idea, as the water turns milk-like. I am going to powerwash it tomorrow if I can, we'll see though.

Going to have to get familiar with a rivet gun, as a lot of the seat wood has to be replaced. I am thinking of doing that in the next couple season but with good sold mohagany or something of high quality (or at least high quality looking). It will be pricey, but would look awesome instead of the plywood with that paper wood finish.

So is this a transducer? If so, can it be wired to a future DF or FF? Not sure about model numbers, forgot to check.

Attachments

• 0623091321.jpg
    0623091321.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,357
ben2go said:
That is a transducer but I'm not sure what it may fit.

Me either, lol. I am wondering how old it could be. The wire is cut but is it possible to wire it up and use it on another unit?? Are they interchangeable or do I need a model number to find out with one it is from?

Maiden voyage today, awesome. This 25 HP really moves me and my lady (who didn't like that at all but is so cute it doesn't matter :D ). I will have to practice handling a bit but this is going to be a fun summer! I bet I could tow a tuber on this thing? Might be fun! Forgot the camera, so next time will definitely bring it out and even take some video.

I have really been enjoying this boat. When I post a video to my Youtube this week, I will share. It's short but at least it shows that the boat moves well.

I think I will need to clean the carb - as it sputters when I have the throttle down low. It opens above that and to WOT without problem, but as I slow it down real low, it like chokes out. Car, right?

I am also eager to get my title from ITS, as I have a feeling the jon boat will be more stable. Don't get me wrong this Sylvan is good, but I think the full flat bottom is going to be better. I also need to get on making a front casting deck for both - as my gf really has taken to her spot up front and is enjoying the sun and riding shotgun when we cruise :D

Welp, the Sylvan was sold today, haha. It's hard for me to hold onto things for long - I wound up selling the boat and trailer (not the one I bought with the Sylva, but another one I had) for almost as much I bought the Sylvan, trailer and 25 hp motor for. I still have the Johnson motor, but that will likely be sold as well seeing that I am installing a mini jacker being on my Mon Ark for my Yamaha and will now need a long shaft 25 hp, not a short.

I hope ITS is right and my paperwork will be here this week, because as of now there is no fishing boat to take out!

Welp, the Sylvan was today, haha
Does this mean you sold the boat?
Your a real salesperson,hope everything works out with the registry of th Mon Ark.

Zum said:
Welp, the Sylvan was today, haha
Does this mean you sold the boat?
Your a real salesperson,hope everything works out with the registry of th Mon Ark.

I just added "sold," my fault for that. I didn't buy it with the intention of selling it, just thought it was a great deal and I got kind of the itch to make room in the driveway for the Mon Ark.

Thanks, hoping it works out, too. I think it will, but the wait for the paperwork is killing me.

Latest posts