I have had this boat for years and don't know what it is

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pathfinderz1

Reaction score
When I got this boat it was nothing but a tim shell. I had to try and remember what on of these boats look for when I was a kid. I put all the wood in it as best as I could remember. The best I have been able to figure out is it was bilt in the 50s. The name on the boat was there when I got it so left it.
Just wondering if anybody here might know what it is. It 10 1/2 foot long.
Thanks
Mike
PS
Forgot to say this boat is alll reveted

Attachments

• Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 693
  • Picture004.jpg
    Picture004.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 693
  • Picture001.jpg
    Picture001.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 693
I found out how stable it is once when I got cought in the wind and the waves were 3 to 4 feet high. With me and a friend that waighted 300lbs. We made it but never want to do that again. The boat held togather and not one revit leaked and only took on about 5 gals of water.
I was told this boat might have been made by klamoth.
Mike

That Nevada registration should have some pedigree you can use to work backwards to find a previous owner who knows some of the history.

The boat looks like a kit boat or a home made boat.
There was a Fly Fishing club where some guys made several boats as projects, and some of the Military installations had guys making boats in the Hobby shops.

Look at the rivets in the Ribs. Look at the heads and the swedge on the inside. Were they done by hand? Do you see tool marks? (alibi's)
If not, they might have been done by experienced workers. That may be an indication of Factory work. But also, I worked as a Riveter at Boeing and when I re-did my Starcraft, My son and I left no tool marks but the swedge was rounded, not flat with only one surface.

The Rivets done by the Air tools dont leave any marks at all. Only one quick Swedge, and all at the same angle. Thats a factory job.

It also looks like it was a Pacific Northwest boat for Salt water Salmon etc, but at the same time it might have been sold as a lake boat for large waters.

If you didnt find an installation plate in the inside of the Transome, it was probably made before 1972. If you look closely at the transome area and dont find any blemish in the paint where a plastic sticker was, it probably is not

I could be wrong but it looks to me that it was hand made by a handyman.EI large single row of rivets,with larger than normal spacing,seems to be well made though and I would bet that the gauge of the aluminum is quite thicker than normal.Looks like a boat that your grandkids will be giving to their grand kids. Mike

The way the boat was put togather in inside and out look more a factory job. As I stated in first post this boat was nothing but a tin shell when I got it. All the wood on it I did my self from what I could remember for what boats like this looked when I was a kid. My guess on age is somewhere in the 50s and I was only 12 then. Also didn't have any paper work on it so no way to trace its back ground. My title says now home made. That is the way fish & game had to do it here.
Mike

You did a great job on the wood. My Starcraft flooring had floatation underneath. The rivest all eroded, and one time I really needed that floatation, it all just floated away when the rivest gave way. The floatatioin tore the floorboards right out of the boat.

One more hint as to its origin, would be your parents movments when you were a kid.
I still think it's a Pacific NorthWest boat. Did your folks move to Nevada from up there somewhere?

The only way a Dealer would have had a boat like that was in a shipment of several boats. You'd have more of them around if it was sold by a local dealer.

I have had this posted for a few weeks now and nobody can ID it. Looking at the revits and the workman ship I don't think it was hand make. The paper for it when I got it were gone. So no way to check that way. It is now registered as home made. But that iis the only way I could get papers on it . So still looking for and ID. My best guess is it was made it the 50s. So need some old timers to get there heads working.
Thanks
Mike

Only problem with ID'ing the boats was during the '50s, a LOT of small boat companies were started. In fact, a large majority of the riveted boat companies we have today were started back then. After the war, much of the equipment needed to build riveted aircraft was no longer needed. Couple that with the recreational boom, and suddenly a boat company sprouted on every corner. Many of these quickly went bankrupt, only after making a few boats, so records are nonexistent, and only a handful of boats like them were made, so the chances of happening upon one that hasn't been scrapped yet, and who's owners still know the story behind it is like finding a needle in a hayfield. Also, many people built their own boats, and there would be no way to say that it was "hand made," because these were people that had previously been employed by aircraft manufactures, and still had the know how, and access to the equipment. The construction techniques behind both riveted boats and riveted aircraft (at least those of the WWII era) are just about identical, hence why riveted boats suddenly became the rage - it was the piece of recreational equipment best suited for a former aircraft builder.

I am not going to say you aren't going to find the origin behind this boat, because weird things do happen, and sometimes some old timer who happened to have seen or owned one of these things will happen to meet you, or come by this post online, but I will say don't expect it. The chances of such happening are so slim it isn't even funny.

As they say you never can find out anything if you don't ask. So it looks like this is about as far as I can go on IDing it.
Thanks for trying
Mike :D

Latest posts