USS Clarence - 78 Alumicraft 1432

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
I have been trolling arouind for a couple of weeks getting idea my my recently acquired Jon Boat. Like the site, I got more than a few good ideas here. Now the the meat and potatoes. Here is my before picture:
IMG00185.jpg

I was fortunate to acquire this boat at no cost so that makes things even better. I started my modification on saturday 6/27/09 at about 0630. I finshed stage I the next day. Here is my progress thus far:
IMG00188.jpg

IMG00189.jpg

IMG00191.jpg

IMG00190.jpg

IMG00192.jpg

IMG00193.jpg

IMG00198.jpg

IMG00204.jpg

IMG00205.jpg

IMG00208.jpg

IMG00206.jpg

So next will be on to phase II. Live well, seats, and flooring. I intend on sueing the how tow from stuff for making the live well's which will be under the decked seection in front of the middle seat. The seat will be the big boy folding seat from Cabela's and will be mounted fluch to the back and middle seats. For the flooring I was thinking of some creative recycling. I have a hoge diamond plate tool box that was givin to me. I was thinking of cutting dow the lid and making two plates to mount to the floor. one in back and one small one in front. Also I have used and old paintball water tight plastic boax that is the exact same dimensions as the battery boxes they sell at Harbor Fright. Should work fine. I intend on mounting a couple of fishing lights on the sides and mock up a bi-mini top as well.

BTW - USS Clarence is named after my father. He took me and my five older brothers fishing all of our childhood. He has moved on to fishing "bluer waters" and is greatly missed. I recently started a family of my own. We have a beutiful daughter who is 10 months old today. We plan on having moore. So I want my children to experiance the charecter building that fisning, camping, and hunting that I had.

Proud father couldn't help but add thsi picture too:

kinsley_nevill.jpg

Cute little girl!

Are you planning on standing while you're fishing? I really don't think it's going to be that stable if you plan on standing on the front deck, but I've seen guys with their 1432 decked all the way up to the gunwhales and they both stand to fish... just be careful - the process so far looks great!

Standing on front deck - Nope, any standing will be done from the actual boat floor. The front deck is mostly for storage and for the live wells (2) I plan on installing. I have two rod boxes along the sides. The open space will remain oper for leg room and to stand in. I raised the bench seats four inches and the seats will mount flush onto the benches. Under the bow deck is some dry storage space as well as to the left and right or the aft bench seat.

I also have plans on possibly adding an out rigger system to add stability. I remember my grandpa had this accomplishe with some pvc pipe mounted to a 2x12 then strapped it accross the middle bench. We never did it to our boat growing up but it was a wider boat. Here is an attached schematic for the build.

BoatSchematic001.jpg

So, yesterday me and my little helper began some prep work on the floor plates for the boat. I have an aluminum diamond plate tool box that was given to me. It measures 6 feet wide and 3 feet accross. So, I got out the old jig saw, put on an aluminum cutting blade and cut the lid out. I mad two plates to attached to the floor ribs, (will use the supports that were under the lid for structual integrity). One is installed in front of the rear seat, the second in the leg room area infront of the second seat. Gonna paint them later when I paint the boat. Came out pretty good. I am gonna use some more of the diamond plate to mock up a control panel to mount my toggel switches for my runnung light (yet to be installed; drive lights up front, fishing lights on each side, and my Go-Light. -Side bar any one on here is interested I am a Go-Light distributor and can get you about the best deals around on them. Just PM me and I will contact you.
Here are some pictures of yesterday progress.
This is the plate in front of the rear bench seat.
IMG00209.jpg

This is plate infront of the middle bench seat.
IMG00210.jpg

This is my happy "Little Helper", who consequently doesn't like the sound of a jig saw cutting through aluminum (was not happy at all then).
IMG00217.jpg

How do you plan on mounting the pontoons.? Are you going make cutouts in the sides of your Jon and run thrm through the hull or are you going to mount them across the top of the boat(like your grandfather)? Are you going to stick with making the pontoons out of PVC too?

Andy - No, not that cannon but funny you should ask. That cannon is actually a potatoe gun mounted to mountain howitzer carriage that I made for fun. It will lauch a spudd reliable about 250 yards. I can hit my neighbors barn roof from behind my house. He thinks it was funny, the horses, not so much. But, I did acquire a small black powder cannon with a tube length of 18 inches. Was joking around about mounting it behind my front light as a deck gun just for converstion. Probably will make the game warden nervous though. I think I will do it, maybe this after noon. My fincial consultant (the wife) is monitoring the build and my next stimlus payment is friday. I gotta do something to keep busy that cost zero. So this I can do.

JeepDVL45 - No, I am going to mount it on top of the gunwhales or in the orr lock mounts so it can be removed for transport. As far as constructing not sure about that yet. I have flirted with making the pontoons myself out of thin plywood, ribbed up like a wooden dingy, but smaller of course. Then filling them with spay foam for floatation. You can buy the kit for about $250 that comes with the rails, mounting brackets, and pontoon / outriggers. I also saw a suggestion of using a couple of boat fenders but I beleive there would be to much drag. I'll keep posting as this progresses.

Todays tasks:
1. I installed the lights red / amber to iluminate the inside of the boat deck.
2. BBQ flavor sunflower seeds
3. Installed anti-pirate protection (bring on those somali pirates). :!:
IMG002191.jpg

IMG002211.jpg

IMG002231.jpg

:shock:
:lol:

The cannon could also double as a harpoon cannon, maybe you and Captain Ahab need to hook up you two could set out after that pesky white whale.... LMAO

Update - I worked on my pontoon design a little friday / saturday morning. I had a whale of a time getting the plywood to bend as I wanted it to without messing it up. I think I will revert back to eather useing a legth of PVC that is capped off. Or possibly useing these outriggers made for kayaks. Anyone used these or seen these in action?
Stabalizer.jpg

Need input.. :?:

Kayak outriggers won't have the buoyancy to hold the boat,gear,and you.They are only rated at 250lbs usually.Use some cheap boat fenders.I have seen them used many times on jon boats.They weren't used while running just when anchored or trolling.

NAT-1021_med.jpg

I don't know Ben...The boat he has is already pretty stable,I think the kayak pontoons should work alright.I have no experience in this though,just looking at it,hopefully practically.
May be just as cheap to build your own with PVC,capped and just air or foam if you have to drill into them.

Well, I have some new developments. I have removed my mods on Clarence. I have traded the boat to my brother. He has / had a 1448 mod-v that he had acquired for his twin sons to use for fishing / project. I was able through some wheeling and dealing trade my boat (1432) for his. I look forward to the extra width. Will be picking it up this week end as I drop of mine. I will begin the new mod as soon as I get it back home. This thing is built like a tank. I will put up some pictures as soon as I get them. I keep posting as the progress moved on.

I just finished sanding the old boat the other day so I wil be starting all over. Luckly all that I have done will be going in the new boat, even the swiveling deck cannon. :lol: Can't wait.

Latest posts