Help on Hull decision... Please :o)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Ace~

Reaction score
I need a bigger hull, with my, Gorgeous wife, Dumb dog and gear in the TN River my 14/36 is just not enough boat when other boats get close, and those %&*(&(& Jet Skis.. :? And a bit tipsy when pulling in jugs etc.

I have not found any Used, so considering mortgaging everything to buy a New one... Have come down to the 16/48 Lowe, or the 16/48 Lowe with Modified V

Here https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/rivited-jon/lowe-jon/l1648.php
And
Here https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/rivited-jon/lowe-jon/l1648m.php

The Mod V is about $200 more expensive, and out of stock till Aug... How much dif would it really make ? Worth the wait ?

99% of my time is spent in the TN river, loaded for all night Catfish trips.. Thanks in advance ! ~Ace~

I have had both styles and while there is a slight difference, there is not really enough to be noticeable in much of a chop. If the water gets rough, either of them are going to jar your fillings.

The flat bottom will draft less water if the area of the river that you are in makes that a concern.

I Really don't want to wait :shock: but want to get the best one... If there is not a major advantage in the Mod V, i'd rather have the Flat, 95% of my time is spent Fishing, 5% getting there. Errr..... Decisions Suck. :x

Looks like they have a 1652 in the mod v front. I do like the extra width for stability if the price is not too bad. I have a 1654 and the stability is fantastic.

1 month and/or $200.00 is not too long to wait/too much $$ for something that should last you 20 years.
Wait and get the modv, it is worth the better ride you will get and the difference in draft is minimal.

I disagree with the big difference in ride having owned both but I suppose that is what makes the world go 'round. :lol:

In all seriousness, all mod-v's are not created the same. Ride quality all depends on how much deadrise is put into the bow. A lot of the cheaper and smaller jon's don't have much so the difference is negligible unless you are at almost idle speed.

Thanks for all the Advice ! It seems over the weekend I got side tracked and put a deposit on a 1987 Lowe 16/60 and Tandem axle trailer it's on. She's a tank ! 88" wide at the gunnels.

Not home yet, but I took a few Pics :)

bigboat1.jpg

bigboat2.jpg

bigboat3.jpg

Looks to be in decent shape. Are you going to do any mods to it? How are the tires on the trailer? Hard to tell in the pic, but the rear left tire looks to be worn some on the outside tread.

Not sure on Mods, gotta get it on the water first and see what it does, will be used for Catfishing 90% of the time, so I like the open floor. It will get 4 new tires, just to be sure... even tho I'm only 10 min from the TN river.

Ace, if you dont mind sharing - how much did you get it for? Im looking for a boat around that size and was curious what the going rate was.

I paid allot, probably to much, but when I seen it, I seen the boat I wanted... $2500 for the hull and trailer.

A little bit high in my opinion but then it is the boat you want, so who cares!

The dual axle trailer is definately over kill on a boat this size. But then that is not a bad thing.
What motor are you going to hang on it? I'd say you need a min of a 30, more likely a 40.

That hull needs at least a 40 on it, IMO.

Ace, it looks like someone built that trailer out of a dual axle utility trailer. Is that the case? If so, you'll never have to worry about overloading the thing but it may bounce a bit with no more weight than the boat is going to put on it.

It's rated for 40 Tiller / 65 Remote... so I'm thinking 75 Remote :D And I haul a Ton of Crap when I fish, so weight on trailer won't be a problem lol. It was bought / Built as a boat trailer from what I was told, the rig was owned by a commercial fisherman.

depending on the condition of the trailer $2500 isnt all that bad of a price. I probably would have tried to push for around $2000 or so. Maybe I missed this, but is the boat fully welded?

Any other pics of the boat and trailer from other angles?

It's "Semi Welded" lol from what I can gather it was Lowe's Commercial type boat before going to the Roughneck, it's heavy gauge and mostly welded, but still has a few rivets. If you have a Fast puter, with Fast connection and Plenty of Ram, here are a bunch of pics https://www.tnpredators.com/boat

Latest posts