New Member, New Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntxandy

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and maybe had the most lucky day of my life last weekend. My grandpa gave me a boat I didn't even know he had for free. So now I'm off and running. The boat is a 1957 Studebaker (different than the car company) 14' V bottom boat. I've never seen one like it. Its got 2x2" ribs down the entire boat, which I assume will allow me to take the seats out if I decide to deck it and not have to worry about it being too flimsy. Its rated for a 25hp motor but currently has a 1959, 5.5hp evinrude on it at the moment. Still kinda reading around on here and coming up with ideas for the boat. I plan on starting at the trailer and moving up from there. Hopefully get this thing back into great shape.
P7060387.jpg

P7060384.jpg

P7060385.jpg

P7060388.jpg

Never posted a pic on here before so I'm hoping this works.

Thanks for any ideas, comments, or advice.

Welcome to the site.
Pictures made it and your new to you boat looks great already.
Make sure the trailer is up to snuff and take er fishing.
Split seats in the rear already,looks real solid.

:WELCOME:

That's a sweet old boat.I wouldn't modify the hull at all.I'd make everything removable.That boat could be a historic piece.

Welcome Aboard !

One Of The First People To Go Out With You Should Be Grandpa. You Need To Spend Some Quality Time With Him To Catch Up On Things. . . Like How He Had A Boat You Never Knew About. How ( And When ) He Got The Boat? Anything About The Motor You Should Know About? If He Used The Boat, What Was The Biggest Fish Caught From It? Any Funny Or Worried Times On Board? Those Will Make It Even More Special To You As You Work On It.

You Might Even Share This Site With Him So He Can Feel The Love In All These Boats. :D
But Then Again, He Might Want The Boat Back. :shock:

That is a rally cool boat, real stout looking too. I agree with others, check that there is no major significance to the boat before moding it, it might be better to restore it back to original, who knows :D

Nice boat. I really like the split bench setup in the hull. The type of fishing you plan to do will determine the mods you need. Use good material and take your time as I know this is a boat you will never want to part with.

countryboy210 said:
Welcome Aboard !

One Of The First People To Go Out With You Should Be Grandpa. You Need To Spend Some Quality Time With Him To Catch Up On Things. . . Like How He Had A Boat You Never Knew About. How ( And When ) He Got The Boat? Anything About The Motor You Should Know About? If He Used The Boat, What Was The Biggest Fish Caught From It? Any Funny Or Worried Times On Board? Those Will Make It Even More Special To You As You Work On It.

You Might Even Share This Site With Him So He Can Feel The Love In All These Boats. :D
But Then Again, He Might Want The Boat Back. :shock:

Agree! :beer:

Boat is awesome. A nice simple removable floor and you have a serious nostalgic rig! Good luck with it!

Very nice boat man! I'm with others on this, I would do some research on it to discover if there is any major significance before making any irreversible modifications. Just restoring it back to it's original glory will make any tinboat owner envious.

Welcome to the site! Let us know what you discover and what you plan to do with the boat.

Restore, it's too rare and unusual to do all the tricks to and it has 'history'. If anything, ask pap what he liked and disliked about the boat and go from there.

Jamie

Thanks for all the comments and kind words. I'm afraid its already too late. I've cut out all the seats, strapped in two lawn chairs, and painted on lime green flames :) No, I think I'm just gonna clean her up, maybe put on a fresh coat of paint. I like the idea of the removable floor though. I might try that. Basically don't want to do anything to it that can't be undone. Thanks again guys.

LOL...good one.
See if you can find more information on the boat or give us some more info and we will see what we can find out.
I think you will find something else in the future that will better suit the modding needs.
Is that all it said for brand/manufacture name...Studebaker 22 14 foot V...any other names stamped anywhere?

The name on the side of the boat is a "studebaker 22." I did find out that they were built between 1955 and 1960 by a guy in topeka, ks. Other than that my internet searching hasn't brought up much info. The boat was originally purchased by my great uncle and then given to my grandpa 3 years ago. He doesn't know where the boat was originally purchased.

Man that thing looks stout.

Congrats on being the new owner. It's a great looking piece of history.

Latest posts