Newbie- Have boat, need ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystic1219

Reaction score
My dad is giving me this boat that he has had around for quite a while. It's going to take some work, but Im excited about fixing it up.
IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

I dont know much about the boat. Its either a 12 or 14 footer with an older 6hp Evenrude (runs good). I am away from home in the military and had called my dad with a question about a boat I was looking at, and he said he would give me his so I have a friend that is driving it out to me later this month. He ran the motor recently and it runs good, but hasnt used the boat in a while. It doesnt have any bad leaks, and he didnt remember for sure but said it may have a very minor leak. He is putting new tires and lights on it before I get it. Obviously the trailer needs some attention. I was thinking sand it down real good, coat it with POR 15 (used this stuff when I worked in a body shop and its great for rust) and then paint it with ????. Also redo the bunks, winch and jack. Trailer should be good to go after that I think. Not too sure where I want to go with the boat. So far my ideas are leaning towards stripping the paint and repainting, possibly camo-clad it. I saw someone on here had used steelflex on the bottom? I googled it and couldnt find where to buy it. Is that something good to seal/coat the bottom? I am going to definatly plywood/carpet the floors, and probably a low and or small deck in the front. Going to add a trolling motor (30/36/40lb?) and a small fish finger (probably a Piranhamax180, I dont plan on relying on it too much, mostly for depth). Oh yeah, SEATS! definatly going to add seats, not sure exactly how I want to go with that yet though. I am still browsing the forum and looking at boats for ideas. Sorry for the long post, I really like that site (lots of great info!) and just wanted to post some before pics of my project. Oh yeah one more thing to add, it will see some brackish water, so any suggestions on anything for saltwater would help.

Welcome to the site, thanks for serving the country and protecting my family!!

Nice looking project boat...
JB weld is your friend when you find that little leak!!... I think you will be good with a 30lb trolling motor. That's all I use on mine when I took it out for the 1st time and only had the setting on 3 out of 5 and it did very well...

:WELCOME:

Por 15 is some good stuff.I think you could deck the front up to the top of the benches.Check my link below for my thread on decking.If you use steelflex,you will be safe for saltwater.Wash your boat and circulate clean water through the motor when you haul out.Do not use anything less that stainless steel for fasteners and bed them in with 3M 5200 marine sealant.Don't use pressure treated wood,use standard exterior wood.

ben2go said:

Por 15 is some good stuff.I think you could deck the front up to the top of the benches.Check my link below for my thread on decking.If you use steelflex,you will be safe for saltwater.Wash your boat and circulate clean water through the motor when you haul out.Do not use anything less that stainless steel for fasteners and bed them in with 3M 5200 marine sealant.Don't use pressure treated wood,use standard exterior wood.

Thanks for the good info. What is wrong with treated wood? Heavy? yeah POR 15 is the stuff that if you get on your hands you will be wearing it for about a week. I think it will work good on the trailer. I was thinking about decking to the bench in front. my brain is turning now...... great site!

mystic1219 said:
ben2go said:

Thanks for the good info. What is wrong with treated wood? Heavy? yeah POR 15 is the stuff that if you get on your hands you will be wearing it for about a week. I think it will work good on the trailer. I was thinking about decking to the bench in front. my brain is turning now...... great site!

Treated wood has trace amounts of copper from the chemicals used to treat the wood.It will corrode an aluminum hull rather quickly.

Welcome to your newest addiction - boat modding!

By reading your post I can see you are the same way I was a little over a year ago when I got my first boat. Take your time and do it right and it will last you a long time.

Where are you located?

Latest posts