Yet another Newbie (from across the pond)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishPiker

Reaction score
Hi all, been looking in now best part of 2 months. Owned 2 ally boats before, all welded semi flat hulled seastrikes in the uk, one 12ft the other 14ft. Sold them on when i started my business a year and a half ago as times were hard :cry:

Things are a little easier now and have just bought a second hand 16 foot long rivetted boat called an "OMC Princecraft 495", i'd say she is a semi vee, the hull flattening out about a 1/3 back from the bow. Not sure how old she is but is in cracking shape, just needing a new coat of paint, the bench seats removing and a new ally chequer floor installing.

In my eyes, she looks very similar to a friends 16 foot sea nymph, dated about 1996 i think.

Really, am looking into all your combined knowledge to see what they can tell me about her origins/history etc. Wasn't OMC and Sea Nymph merged in the 90's, or so i'm told??

Afraid there is no chance of me posting pics up, its a miracle i've got this far such are my computer skills :cry: But, if someone lets me email them, i have a few shots of her i could whack across.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

EnglishPiker

Here is his boat... this is definitely not my department!

BoatandMotor001.jpg

BoatandMotor002.jpg

BoatandMotor003.jpg

BoatandMotor004.jpg

BoatandMotor009.jpg

BoatandMotor010.jpg

BoatandMotor011.jpg

BoatandMotor012.jpg

BoatandMotor013.jpg

BoatandMotor014.jpg

welcome aboard mate :D

nice rig, and the water behind the trailers, is that your area or is it where ya bought it at?

Welcome! Pull up a chair & drink a pint with us.

Princecraft boats are currently made in Canada, here is the website:

https://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/produit/421/Yukon-DLX-BT.aspx

Nice rig, I think you will enjoy it. I run a similar engine (Nissan 18) and have had great luck with it.

:WELCOME:

That's a great boat.If you're gonna be pulling in big fish,try some nonslip rubber type work mats/rugs.It helps with the fishy slime and they can be removed and washed down easily.There also heavy enough to stay in place and not bounce,blow,or slide around.

Thanks boys

I'll drop Princecraft an email and ask some questions. The water and caravan behind the trailor in the pic is my syndicate water. 5 acres and only 9 members, with only me putting a boat on there.

thanks again

EP.

Another couple of questions

Do you feel the hull would suffer strength integrity with the middle two bench seats removed? I'm guessing that by adding/welding a few horizontal cross members above the existing sloping ribs to provide the flat floor support (ie triangulation), this should add strength. Will she also require new vertical supports from the new floor up to the gunnels?

Livewells, like the idea, but can someone tell me how you prevent the water within the well sloshing around and leaking from the hatch? Am i missing something?

Thanks

EP

I would be pretty nervous about removing both benches. One, maybe. But not both. They are probably adding a lot of structural stability to the hull.
You will probably need to add some sort of bracing in its place.

I've never had a problem with significant amounts of water splashing out of the livewell, most of them do not fill all the way to the top and the lip around the top keeps splashes inside.

Someone has just warned me about using builders insulation foam sheeting under my new floor. Went along the lines of water absorbtion over time which could cause problems for rivetted boat in winter as the foam expands during a freeze up hence putting pressure on rivetted joints??

Argghhhh, this has messed up my plan, not considered using anything else????

EP

Latest posts