Looking for recommendations on Boat Insurance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscruiser

Reaction score
Well, now that I've found the boat, I want to get it insured.

In the past, I've have just had a rider attached to my homeowners policy to cover the boat, trailer and accessories. But, my home owners insurance is now in with my house payment and I don't really want to change it. So, I'm looking around at different options and companies for boater's insurance.

Anyone have any recommendations on insurance companies that provide boater's insurance?

Progressive...

But first check with whoever insures your vehicles... you can usually get a fairly decent discount when you have more than one line with them

I agree with Russo1o.I got $250 a year knocked of my motorcycle insurance at Progressive.I know we're talking about boats,but I am happy with Progressive.

ben2go said:
I agree with Russo1o.I got $250 a year knocked of my motorcycle insurance at Progressive.I know we're talking about boats,but I am happy with Progressive.

I did a test quote with Progressive and was very satisfied and suprised with the price quoted. I was wondering if anyone here had any dealings with Progressive. Glad to hear you are satisfied with them.

My boat insurance is with State Farm, and my annual premium is $70.06

Coverages:

Boat, Equipment, Motor (no gas motor on mine though): $4500 (2008 Lowe 1652VT Roughneck)
Trailer: $500 (2007 Karavan single-axle trailer)
Deductible (all losses): $500

Watercraft Liability: $100,000
Watercraft medical payment (each person: $1,000

Actual premium is $62.00, then a state revenue surcharge and municipal tax/fee is added, making the annual total $70.06. Coverage does not include any of my tackle or accesories (pfd's, etc), but I can get them added onto the policy if I desire to do so, which of course will raise my premium.

I've had luck with progressive.. They paid a tow bill on a set of Jet Skis I had just purchased and was bringing home.. Cost over $300 to get it towed.. Middle of the night, special rollback.. But they paid.. :)
And it's like $100 a year for my 14'er

I use anglers advantage boat insurance feel lucky that i haven't needed them but I hear from others that have that they are good

I use Farmers for all of our insurance.
If you group everything, you get discounts. Your homeowner company probably would send you a seperate bill for just your boat insurance policy, that is how ours does it.
If not, check around, different companies offer different policies, some are actual cash value, others are replacements and some are agreed replacement value (which basically means you negotiate a middle ground between actual value and full replacement).
I pay about $100/year.

...If you group everything, you get discounts. Your homeowner company probably would send you a seperate bill for just your boat insurance policy, that is how ours does it...

Same here, as we have everything through State Farm, and they send a seperate bill for the boat insurance.

I have my vehicles, boats, houses and farm with Nationwide, my wife is my insurance agent 8) Not sure how much I pay but I know I have a million dollar blanket policy to cover me incase there is an accident or something. If I was a customer, I think I would rather deal with people and an office that I can go to in the time of need, instead of a 1-800 number and alot of times those 1-800 number insurance companies have good rates, but SUCK when it comes to service or paying claims. My father, before he retired owned an insurance agency as well so I have seen and heard many many things about those over the phone/ over the internet, i dont have a local agent to help me, companies.

I have had good experiances with Farmes & USAA.

Example I: The weekend Katrina hit New Orleans my house burnt down. It was a total loss. Thank goodness I was at work at the time. A Farmers Agent was there within 8 hours and cut me a check then and there for $5000 and put me up in a hotel for about a month until all things were settled.

Example II: About a year and a half ago I was at the lake. I had a four wheels zip out infront of me. I swerved into the bar dicth to miss the kid. There was about 3 feet of standing water. Some water (about two liters) was sucked up through my cold air intake into the motor and caused both cams to seaze up resulting in a bunch of bent vavles and other damage to the engine. USAA covered the full replacement of the motor & labor ($4700).

Moral of this story is go with a reputable company, not the cheapest. And always choose replacement cost. It will pay you fair market price on what it will cost you to replace it instead of a depreciated cost.

I have Statefarm and hve full replacement for $14000 to cover boat,motor's and gear and it's not prorated for age it's replacement.
$120 a year I think, I don't have the check book so I get to play more. :---)

I have Statefarm and hve full replacement for $14000 to cover boat,motor's and gear and it's not prorated for age it's replacement.
$120 a year I think, I don't have the check book so I get to play more.

That is a dang good price for full replacement.

Latest posts