Looking at Jon Boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPhillips

Reaction score
I am looking at possible jon boats for pond fishing in various farm ponds and sloughs around our house. Most of the time there would probably only be 2 fishing out of it, but it is possible at times that there could be 3. I will be modifying the boat once I purchase it by adding a casting deck on the front, a deck on the rear, and a live well for the catch of the day. Been thinking about something in the 12'-16' range, but not sure what length I really need, also wondering about what width, and hull design I should be looking at.

Just looking for opinions and ideas so that I can find something I will be happy with, so please help me out.

Thanks

I think the general concences(sp) on width, especially if you are going to deck it, is to get as wide a boat as possible. For length if you want three people I would go for 14 feet, 12 is only really good for two and it can get crowded.

Once you decide on the size of the boat you want, I highly recommend checking www.craigslist.com for boats for sale in your area.

Be patient, and check it often; 2 or 3 times a day. You will eventually ran across the boat that you are looking for, usually at a good to great price.

A great resource for jon boat info and pricing is www.akmccallum.com They are a huge jon boat dealer here in North Carolina, and their prices are hard to beat.

Good luck on your search.

For ponds & slews (calm water) look for a riveted 1648 flatbottom, it will be light, have a shallow draft & very stable.
good for decking over too.
You can probably find one cheap in craigslist or in the paper.

Latest posts