18 Hp on a Smokercraft 15 Alaskan???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlF

Reaction score
Still debating my upcoming boat purchase.
I remember a couple of guys here have the Smokercraft Alaskan 15 DLX (https://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/ShowModel.aspx?ModelID=763&SeriesID=78) a/o similar hulls.
I am considering buying just the Alaskan 15 DLX and keeping my existing trailer & my Nissan 18 hp short shaft two stroke.
Any one have any thought on how that hull should perform with that engine?
I'm not looking to fly around at mach 1, but a top speed of 20-25 mph would be nice.
Thanks!

That motor would work.I can't say for sure what speed it will get to but I don't think you will get to 25mph unless you keep it light.

Thanks for the input.
I emailed a dealer out on the west coast that sells them with a 15 hp. He says that they get 32 mph out of 15 hp on that hull. Thought that the 18 would do fine.
I think 32mph must be with driver only, even then, that must be one well designed hull to get that kind of speed from 15 hp. The boat only weighs 270, so maybe?

WOW! :shock:

That must be a 150 pound driver in an aerodynamic posture with perfect water conditions.Yea,I'd say your 18hp and some fishing gear would get some speed.That hull may have a flatter rear section than I'm thinking.

They have a pretty flat stern section & it starts well forward on the hull.
On all the dealer websites I have checked out using Boattrader.com ( https://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/smoker-craft/15-alaskan/ ), they are running either short shaft or long shaft 15 hps on them, depending on the transom height (Can get it in either height). They seem to sell a lot of them, must be doing something right?
Most of the dealers I have found that sell a lot of these are out in Oregon or Washington, the dealers here in Alabama & Florida that are close by sell only the pontoon & has never sold one of the Alaskans.

15AlaskanSternExterior1.jpg

15AlaskanSternExterior2.jpg

15AlaskanExteriorPortSide2.jpg

CarlF said:
Thanks for the input.
I emailed a dealer out on the west coast that sells them with a 15 hp. He says that they get 32 mph out of 15 hp on that hull. Thought that the 18 would do fine.
I think 32mph must be with driver only, even then, that must be one well designed hull to get that kind of speed from 15 hp. The boat only weighs 270, so maybe?
Keep in mind, the dealer is trying to sell you the boat. I have not heard of a dealer that will give you an accurate speed yet, and I am talking dealers of all kinds of boats. If you want to see how accurate that statement was, see what prop was run on that test hull. Not knowing what motor was used, I plugged in merc 15 specs. With a WOT RPM of 5000, 2:1 gear ratio, and 10 percent prop slip (that setup probably has slightly more), to get 32 mph, one has to have a minimum of 15 pitch. Go to a more realistic prop slip number, and you need 16. Quite frankly, I am not seeing a 15 horse turn a 15 pitch prop.

Yep, I know, need to take their number with a grain of salt. That is one reason I raised the question on here.
32 sound high to me too, I am thinking what I was after, 25 mph, is more realistic.

Maybe 20mph,thats what I think.
Unless those semi V's go through the water better then I think.
I have a 1652modV with a 30hp(13pitch by myself,11 pitch heavy load 24 mph),I only go around 28mph,lightly loaded...the boat that is.I'm pretty sure my boat has a 6degree deadrise,yours will be in the water alot more.Just guessing though.

Latest posts