Gas can/tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullmoon

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. The space between my transom and rear bench seat measures 13". All the gas tanks (6 - 6.5 gallons) I have seen are wider than that. Anybody else have this
problem and know of a solution or a source for a narrower tank? Thanks, Ed

Attachments

• Jon boat pics III 045.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 045.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,235
I have the same problem but in my case the seats are wood and mounted on rails the whole length of the boat so I am just repositioning the seat.

Thanks for the responses guys. The one at Boater's World looks like the same one as Bass Pro. That one should fit. Boater's World shows out of stock now. I thought they were out of business. Maybe that's just their retail stores. Thanks again,Ed

Is the seat full of foam,how much to wide is your existing tank?
Could you "notch"a peice of the seat out(at the bottom),it may hold the tank in place as a bonus?
Probably easier to buy another tank though.

How about just moving the tank forward of the middle bench seat? Will help balance out the weight under load too.

This boat did not come with a gas tank. I thought about putting it forward of the seat for balance as well, but I really don't want to take up my floor space if not necessary. I've already taken out one seat, so I don't want to cut into another one (they are foam filled). I think I'm just going to pick up one of the 6 gallon tanks from Bass Pro. It should fit right in snug. I'm going to build a small aluminum floor there so it will rest flat over the rib, maybe with a lip at each end to keep the tank from moving around. I'll post pics.

What size motor do you have and how is it on gas?

I run a Nissan (Tohatsu) 18HP on a 3 gallon tank and according to Nissan, this thing only burns 1.5 gallons per hour at 5,500 RPM. What that really means is... I can't burn 3 gallons of gas in a day for the areas I fish. As I've said, I use a 3 gallon tank and have had zero thoughts about buying a larger one. I'm on the trolling motor for more miles than the outboard.

And on the idea of moving the tank forward... Fuel only weighs about 6 lbs per gallon, so you're only talking 36lbs when filled to capacity. On a 3 gallon tank, you're talking 18 lbs.

My little 8U series starting battery weighs more than 6 gallons of fuel.

Good point Mr. Taco, always wanted to say that since I thought of it 30 seconds ago :D Anyway, its like my SeaKing 12, it consumes 2 gallons per hour at full throttle, has a built in 2 gallon tank and I also have a 6 gallon remote tank, that means I should be able to go 80 miles before running out of gas, at full throttle :shock:

Taco, I don't have the motor yet, but it will be either a 20 or 25. Since my last post I got a 6 gallon tank from Bass Pro that fits perfectly, $29.99. I will sometimes run salt creeks for miles, and I need the capacity. You are right, not a huge amount of weight. I'm gonna put battery up to the front, as well as bait tank to distribute the weight. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• Jon boat pics III 056.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 056.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,065
Looks good back there. Only thing to remember is to pull it out and inspect the bottom of it and the areas it sits on once in a while for wear, since its not bearing on the little feet it has.

I don't really think its gonna be an issue, but I know that my tank likes to move around a bit when trailering and vibrates about when underway.

I also do not store my tank in the boat when not in use. I pull it out and look it over after each baptism.

That looks like it fits good in there, if you really need range you can always run two tanks and just swap from one to the other when the first gets low.

I'm going to have to build a small platform (aluminum) to give the tank a flat place to sit. When I do that I'll put a little lip around it to keep it from moving around, maybe with someway to strap it down. They do tend to bounce around a little when trailering.

I'm going to have to build a small platform (aluminum) to give the tank a flat place to sit.

Good idea, I was going to suggest that. I built mine from scrap 2x4 and a piece of plywood.

Latest posts