Fix holes in the boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewalden

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a alum boat. It has two holes one on each side. Thay are about as big around as a soda can. Is this something that came fixed? Can it we welded over. I don't care to much how it looks, I just don't want it to sink.

Thanks for you input.

Ed

This can be fixxed. I would start by contouring the surface back to the original shape. Then make a patch that is about 2 inches bigger than the hole all the way around. Weld around the outside of the patch on the outside and then weld the hole itself to the patch on the inside of the boat. I would also recomment using material that is 2x's the thinkness of original hull material. MIG will work but TIG would be better.

Yep, it can be fixed, but how much are you paying for the boat? Is it worth it? How much will it cost to repair? Is the damage just these two wholes or does it have corrosion issues?
Just think about it before you make an investment in a damaged hull.

It need not be welded. You can fix a hole like that just fine with simple pop rivets, and a correctly sized/shaped patch.

Here is one picture from my 1542 project page, where I patched similar holes. I have about 4 of these patches in my rig, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I cut the disk using a standard hole saw, with the center bit backed out as far as it would go, then riveted it on with 3/16 pop rivets, and sealed with 3M 5200 marine sealer.

https://www.shareaproject.com/pages/imageDetail,p,482,i,8170,00.html

Thanks Guys,

The hole got there in a car werck.. It's a 20' 2001 Alumcraft. with a 75hp yamaha.

Thanks

Ed

Latest posts