Remove middle seat idea for bracing...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjldad

Reaction score
I saw this on another guys boat.. Thought it may be a good option to removing my middle seat.. (I have 4 benches, the 2nd from the back) I would run one down each side from seat to seat.. Then take the floatation foam from my seat and cut it to where it would fit under the 2x4.... I would integrate them a little better with the front and back bench.. But looks like it should be just as strong as with the middle bench.. My bench does not connect to the bottom anywhere, just at the sides..

Attachments

• inside6195177.jpg
    inside6195177.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 755
if yours has 4 benches and you are leaving in 3, and if yours has the ribs that extend up the sides like in that picture, i'd say you don't need any other support.

I unfortunately do not have ribs all the way up the side..

Here is a pic of my boat.. Front seat was utilized for some bow storage..

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 707
If you remove it I would brace it just to be on the safe side since your ribs do not come up as high. The lack of a brace will place undue stess on the structual inegrity and you could develop some leaky rivets.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, I am planning on a 2x2 of wood, or 1x2 of aluminum channel if I can find some at work, running from the back seat to the 2nd seat on each side.. It will run right through all 3 of the brackets on the side for the benches.. I really think it won't be too much of an issue.. The sides of the boat move pretty good when standing or sitting on that middle bench as it is.. The sides are all that really keep the bench from bending too much anyhow as their is no support under the bench..

Latest posts