Slow leaks . . .ugh!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefpoet1972

Reaction score
So does anyone have any tips for locating and repairing slow leaks? I've got a 12' mod V that's a whole ton of fun, except for the leak. It'll only take in about 4-5 cups of water or so, but it's really annoying. I've tried loc-tite, but I probably didn't do as good a job as I could have. Anything anybody's got would be greatly appreciated.

Put the boat up on saw horses and fill with water to the normal waterline. You will find your leaks.

If it is leaking at the rivets, you can either retighten (my suggestion) or use some commercial sealant.

Be careful how much water you put in your boat & how you support it.I wouldn't put it up to the water line,just cover the bottom which is most likely where its leaking & go from there.Rebucking the rivets is no big deal.If you have to check the sides I'd roll the boat so the water is at the sides.Water is 8.8 lbs per gallon & filling to the water line is about 130 gals.Do the math.When I checked mine I leave it on the trailer.

You're off about a half pound on the weight of water, but I digress... :lol:

I probably should have classified that waterline statement. My flat bottom drafts maybe an inch of water unloaded.. your mod V may be different. Put just enough water in the bottom to cover the rivets.

I have the same problem - just enough seepage to be annoying. Tried the fill the bottom of the boat trick without any leaks - ARRRGH

I bought a small bilge pump and i run it a few minutes every couple of hours - No more water headaches

just cover the rivets and seems with 5200 wont hurt it and unless you have a crack it will seal it up. That 5200 is some sticky stuff.

cubanredneck said:
just cover the rivets and seems with 5200 wont hurt it and unless you have a crack it will seal it up. That 5200 is some sticky stuff.

I thought about that already - good advice

The drain plug is fine, I'm certain about that--it's definitely the rivets. Maybe a bilge is the way to go? What is that 5200 stuff? I just used Loc-Tite, and it did nothing. And could someone explain to me how involved a process it is to rebuck the rivets? It's an older boat (1968 Sears/Montgomery Ward), so I don't really want to go too nuts with it. But I would like it to last me another season.

The drain plug is fine, I'm certain about that--it's definitely the rivets. Maybe a bilge is the way to go? What is that 5200 stuff? I just used Loc-Tite, and it did nothing. And could someone explain to me how involved a process it is to rebuck the rivets? It's an older boat (1968 Sears/Montgomery Ward), so I don't really want to go too nuts with it. But I would like it to last me another season.

3M 5200 Marine sealant is great.It's almost like a semi permanent glue for boats.Bucking rivets isn't hard.Use a hammer or flat dolly pressed against the head of the rivet and use another small hammer to tap the rivet.You want the head to stay in place and the inside to swell out a little.

Is it a leak or condensation?

My river boat and even the lake boat will have condensation from cold water river or lake.

Rebuck the rivets, PC-11 all rivets below the water line and then Steel Flex the bottom below the water line!!

I did put a 500gph bildge pump in and its great.

John

cubanredneck said:

5200? What is this?

A friend of mine suggested JB Weld. Any thoughs on this?

I have the same leaky problems, previously located with above mentioned method. Works great!

Doughboyracing said:
cubanredneck said:

5200? What is this?

Made by 3M. I used it to seal my transom and holes for drilling, once cured, which takes a bit, it's rock solid.

A friend of mine suggested JB Weld. Any thoughs on this?

I have the same leaky problems, previously located with above mentioned method. Works great!

It definitely isn't condensation! I'll get maybe an inch or so of water in the very back of the boat for the duration of my trip, about 2-4 hours, and that's it. It doesn't necessarily make me nervous (I'm not about to take my boat onto bigger waters, over 1000 acres), but I don't like it at all. I just want to fish without worrying about my boat, that's it. So any advice would be great.

A friend I talked too had the same problem.It took a bit but what he did was mix up some dish soap water mix sprayed it on each rivet & than blew air from the other side & if there was a leak it would show by little bubbles,he would than buck that rivet & continue.Welded seams would work the same way.

Latest posts