Gnarly leaf springs and wheels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullmoon

Reaction score
O.K. More work to do. How do you guys suggest I attack the rust on the leaf springs and wheels? My plan is: Remove the tires, drill with wire brush for the wheels down to bear metal, prime and paint. I'm not sure the best plan for the leaf springs. Every trailer I've ever owned eventually the leaf springs will rust. Any suggestions for removing rust (wire brush again?), and any tricks to coat them to atleast slow down the rust? Paint or possibly the anti-corrosion spray, or a combination of both? Thanks. I won't have much time to work the next few weeks. We're heading down to Florida for fishing, etc. in my other boat. I'll post some pics of that as well. Hopefully there will be some fish in the pictures. I am obsessed with catching a tarpon this year. Bow to the king!

Attachments

• Jon boat pics III 055.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 055.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 707
  • Jon boat pics III 054.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 054.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 707
  • Jon boat pics III 053.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 053.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 707
I would replace the springs and wheels.Possibly the axle also.I use white lithium spray grease between the springs unless they have slipper pads.Those wheels have been weakened by the rust in the lug area and the split where the rim and center section meet.The wheel could also leak air because of rust in the split between rim and center section.

Wire wheel in an angle grinder works OK but sandblasting is best. If you can't do it yourself I've been told often Graveyard monument companies will do blasting on the side kinda cheap if bussiness is slow. I'm going to try this stuff on my 4x4s leaf springs soon. I figure it will help them slide on each other and ride better. I just used it on my mower deck. I brushed it on and it looks fine. It's still to early to see how it will last.

https://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm

P6280028Small.jpg

For most things that have been rusty and cleaned with a wire wheel I use brush on "rustoleium professional rusty metal primer and rustoleium professional paint" in the color of your choice. It can be sprayed if you thin it. I painted a truck frame 2 years ago with it and have also done a utility trailer this way. Both are still holding up great. You can get it at Lowes/Home depot ect. Here it is on my frame brushed on. 1 coat primer, 2 coats paint.

P8040001Small.jpg

P8110006Small.jpg

Thanks guys. So you really think they should be replaced? Wasn't counting on that, but I had the same thought on the wheels. It's hard to see how deep that rust goes. I'll probably dig into it and see before I buy new. Maybe it won't be too bad.

There are lots of places to get good deals on mounted tire and wheel combos such as TSC. I also believe in just replacing the Hub unit and adding new bearing buddies. That way you get new hubs, bearings, seals, studs for around $40 each. These are both piece of mind things for me along with new trailer wiring and lights every now and then. I'd clean and paint the axle and springs. Replace any questionable hardware and you can forget about that stuff for awhile. Might check out your bunks while you are at it. I use a bunk cover similar to these instead of carpet it's the only way to go. These are pricey just an example.
https://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6915&categoryID=221

leafs and axle look fine to me just surface rust. i used an angle die grinder w/ wire wheel, then went back with cookie pads (abrasive pads) to smooth the metal out and get rid of the pitting

if i replace anything it would be the rims. i wouldnt replace the bearings unless they are pitted or have shiney spots on them.

squatch said:
I'm going to try this stuff on my 4x4s leaf springs soon. I figure it will help them slide on each other and ride better. I just used it on my mower deck. I brushed it on and it looks fine. It's still to early to see how it will last.

https://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm

Please keep us updated with how this works and holds up on your mower deck! I really need to find something to put on mine to make the grass stop sticking to it. I've tried using PAM on it but it doesn't last and once grass starts sticking it just keeps building up on it.

Thanks,

Mike

your springs and axles are fine - looks just like surface rust. Do like Loggerhead said and just hit it with your wire brush. Then spray paint over it and be done with it. You can touch up the paint later... it's amazing what a little black spray paint can do for appearance. I did it to mine, and people think I've bought new springs.

As far as your wheels... either buy new ones now with tires and be done, or hold out until you really need them. You don't have to do all the mods at one time... save your money and buy new later.
You can always use these 2 as a spare to carry with you when you haul.

I've never tried it, but I wonder if a good rubberized undercoating would hold up better on the springs. I'd imagine all springs eventually will flake the paint off as the spring flexes. The undercoating might resist it better?

Like I said though, I've never tried it. Just the first thing that came to mind when I read the post.

fullmoon said:
O.K. More work to do. How do you guys suggest I attack the rust on the leaf springs and wheels? My plan is: Remove the tires, drill with wire brush for the wheels down to bear metal, prime and paint. I'm not sure the best plan for the leaf springs. Every trailer I've ever owned eventually the leaf springs will rust. Any suggestions for removing rust (wire brush again?), and any tricks to coat them to atleast slow down the rust? Paint or possibly the anti-corrosion spray, or a combination of both? Thanks. I won't have much time to work the next few weeks. We're heading down to Florida for fishing, etc. in my other boat. I'll post some pics of that as well. Hopefully there will be some fish in the pictures. I am obsessed with catching a tarpon this year. Bow to the king!

The Tarpon are hitting hard this year. Ive nailed at least 12 this year with a few close the 200lb mark just remember to get your fishing Lic. with budget cuts Marine patrol are not playing games.