Initial information

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pescatore

Reaction score
:oops:
hi everybody,

first of all thank you all for the time you take to post your projects and aswers that are super useful.
I have a 1642 Lowe jon boat that I'd like to modify (deck, floor etc.)
My first question is kind of silly but how do you cut precisely the sheets of plywood as the shape of the boat (which is not always linear)?
I saw somebody leave a little space, is it then filled by the carpet ?

Thanks

:WELCOME: Thanks for signing on.

Yes leave about 1/4 inch of space for carpet.Roll the carpet under and staple with stainless steel staples.You can use anything to make a template of the boat.I use cardboard if it can't be done with measurements alone.Some prefer brown craft paper plastic sheeting.

I usually find them at Lowe's.Sears used to sell them.I'm not sure what would work in your T-50.The length staple I use is 3/8 inch and sometimes 1/4 inch.Wish I could be more help on what will work in your unit.

pescatore
If you are going to add a front casting deck i wouldn't go as high as the existing deck it makes it a little tipsy as i just found out to day i wish i had drop it down 6" .It will work but you just need to get your sea legs..

thanks caveman I've just read your answer.

I actually built a frame for the front deck 1.5 inches over the first bench (which leave little less then 6" ). I agree with you it would have been too high and dangerous, especially if I go fishing with the kids.
Which plywood would you suggest and how thick?

Found my SS staples at Home Depot and they were for a t-50. They arent the marine staples, but those are really expensive anyway.

pescatore said:
thanks caveman I've just read your answer.

I actually built a frame for the front deck 1.5 inches over the first bench (which leave little less then 6" ). I agree with you it would have been too high and dangerous, especially if I go fishing with the kids.
Which plywood would you suggest and how thick?

Use exterior grade 1/2 inch to 3/4 ply wood.Do not use pressure treated.

Ok guys, my next question is how to attach the deck to the frame. do you do it before or after carpeting? if after what do you use? Do you screw on top of the carpet? I can screw the pedestal base on top of the deck to the underneath ribs of the frame, but is that going to be enough?

PS I will start posting pics very soon :)

pescatore said:
Ok guys, my next question is how to attach the deck to the frame. do you do it before or after carpeting? if after what do you use? Do you screw on top of the carpet? I can screw the pedestal base on top of the deck to the underneath ribs of the frame, but is that going to be enough?

PS I will start posting pics very soon :)

Three ways. One, the weight of the frame keeps it down, and removable.

Two, countersink screws before carpeting, fill with wood putty, sand and carpet.

Three, use finishing washers ABOVE the carpet to have access if need be. I am using this method after I run everything, including electrical. I want to have access to everything and the finish washes look good enough to use.

here there are some pic of my little project (sorry i do not know how to insert the picture so i will go with the attachment)
I have repainted the boat, I used spray paint (rattle bottle), which i know is not ideal, but since for the fist two layer i used a satin green and then switched to gloss when i finally find it, the boat has at least 3 layer of paint.

IMG00045.jpg
IMG00052.jpg
IMG00053.jpg
View attachment 1

Attachments

• IMG00049.jpg
    IMG00049.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 276
I forgot, What do you use to screw the seat pedestal to the deck?
Mine (as you can see from the pics) lay over two of the ribs of the frame.
If I decide to lock the deck screwing it to the frame I just tread the screw through the deck and frame (then I screw the rest of it ).

But if I decide to keep the deck removable how can I screw the pedestal? anythign that would appear on the other side of the deck would be laying on the frame ribs making everything irregular and the deck unstable.

Ok, i am done with the plywood job. I gave 3 hands of sealer and today I'm gonna receive the carpet !!!! super excited !!!
Question: how much carpet do u leave to fold and staple under the deck?
Sorry I took pictures with the camera set on high def so I cannot post them..too many Mb... :lol: I'll set it up for a lower resolution and I will come back.

pescatore said:
Ok, i am done with the plywood job. I gave 3 hands of sealer and today I'm gonna receive the carpet !!!! super excited !!!
Question: how much carpet do u leave to fold and staple under the deck?
Sorry I took pictures with the camera set on high def so I cannot post them..too many Mb... :lol: I'll set it up for a lower resolution and I will come back.

I just folded it under about an inch,inch and a half, then put glue on the edge, on the carpet flap, press down and staple. I just think you need enough to make sure it holds securely. I don't see it being a problem as long as you let it cure and staple.

Latest posts