3 separate questions for the knowledgeable....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lebowski

Reaction score
1. What are some suggestions for cleaning up the exterior of the boat? Lots of oxidation and in need of some love.

img0273l.jpg

2. Attaching a transom mount trolling motor to the bow and pivoting the head around, pros/cons/thoughts? A foot-control bow mount is out of my $ range for now, so i was hoping to slap my transom mount to the front.

3. Transom Saver, is it necessary? I have a 9.5hp now, but plan to jump to a 15 next year. Are they mainly for heavier engines and is it worth the $?

Thanks in advance gentlemen :beer:

You will have no issues on turning the head around to mount a transom trolling motor on the bow. Slightly more effort deploying/stowing it, but it is definitely better than not having a trolling motor while you save for a nice foot control one.

Transom saver = worth every penny. If the trailer is high enough that you can trailer the motor in the running position, go for it, just turn it all the way to one side or the other, and put a strap around the lower unit, to keep it from bouncing a little bit, as the tilt lock usually has too much slop for this, and even a slight amount of bounce is much worse than punching the throttle while in the water.

If you can't tilt the motor down, and it be safe from obstructions, a transom saver is about your only option. The tilt support is not designed to be used while trailering, and they fail on a regular basis. I prefer this style of transom saver over the type with the rubber V-block, as this one keeps the motor straight, and not flopping around.
https://www.iboats.com/Swivl_Eze_Tr...7484568--session_id.282170524--view_id.486470

More on transom savers and trailer setups up in the trailers forum. Ben2go has stickied a post entitled "Bassboy1 trailer tips article" to the top of the page.

Greatly appreciate your response man. I was hoping that was the case with the trolling motor as i'm going to pickup a new one tomorrow.

I had always thought about the savers i had seen with larger motors, and figured it would be a good idea even for a smaller one like mine. I can run it in the down position with a decent amount of clearance, but for some reason i feel like i should travel with it up and use a transom saver... :-s

Any input on the aluminum finish and cleaning up the oxidation?

i have my TM set up that way, and like mentioned, the only problem is putting it up and down in the water. i took a small cut-off wheel to the plastic 'stops' that keep it from extending fully into the stowed position. they serve no real purpose, and this way i can stow it flat against the deck. my link below shows some pictures and how i built a small transom for it up front.

grizzly said:
i have my TM set up that way, and like mentioned, the only problem is putting it up and down in the water. i took a small cut-off wheel to the plastic 'stops' that keep it from extending fully into the stowed position. they serve no real purpose, and this way i can stow it flat against the deck. my link below shows some pictures and how i built a small transom for it up front.

Excellent, thanks this is just what i was looking for. I can get a pretty good idea from your setup, although the pictures are kinda small and non-clickable :-k

I picked this up in hopes that it'll cure my oxidation problem. Anyone used or heard of it? @ $25 a tub, it better do what i hope it does [-o<

177870110.jpg

This is the acid bath used on semis. It works well. All you have to do is spray in on, rub it a little with a brush, wait until it turns to a white, cloudy appearance, then hose it off. It will leave the aluminum with a cloudy haze to it, bu tthe oxidation will be gone. after that, you can buff the haze out alot easier than dealing with the oxidation all at once.

They say you can dilute it up to 20 to 1, but I've have had the best luck mixing it around 50/50 for heavily oxidized aluminum. one gallon runs $26 and is enough to do about two 20' boats inside and out.

https://www.ankosales.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1012183294&CAT=1012189547&BACK=A0007A1B01012183294B1

I have heard that Vinegar mixed 50/50 with water does a good job of cleaning aluminum in prep for painting, this is what I am going to try before rolling on the primer inside.

Careful if you use the acid,powerful stuff.
After you clean it,wax it or use that shark hide stuff.
Here it looks great after that.Seen pictures....real shiney.