Plugging up a drain hole - suggestions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
My Mon Ark jon has a drain hole that no longer has a plug. I've measured across (1") and went to West Marine and got the right plug. It doesn't fit well and comes right out. I am starting to think I might just plug it up for good. Keep in mind I have Steel Flex'd the bottom and have paint on the back, so I would rather not do damage to the outside where I would have to do more work.

I am thinking of bringing the boat to a welder, have him just seal it up, what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Pic is below. Thanks, all.

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,249
I'm not questioning your knowledge or second guessing you... but did you put the plug in and turn it to tighten it up and make a seal with it in the plug hole? It could be a bad plug too - I've bought 2 in the last 2 months that were no good... I guess kids play with them in the store and they won't tighten up..

You could always use that same plug and use silicone... then you'd be able to remove it and still make it usable. I would put it in like regular, then fill the outside with some silicone... but just enough to make a seal

Captain Ahab said:
Pound a cork in or 1" dowel (broom handle or rake handle would work fine)

How are you going to drain your boat?

I was hoping no water and when there was water, bilge?

I want to keep it, but right now it's keeping me from testing my boat, lol.

Russ, I shoved the plug in until it was as tight as possible, and put the lever in the lock position, and the i was able to just simply pull it out. Am I supposed to turn it? On the other boat I had I just simply put it in, and put lever up; put lever down, take it out. Didn't seem like rocket science? What kind of silicon? I was thinking of doing that, is there something other than 3M 5200, which I generally use?

ober, there should be a nut on the end opposite the locking handle or it may simply be threaded on. If threaded on, just turn the rubber plug while holding on to the locking handle and it will swell the rubber out. If there is a nut, tighten that nut down some to make the rubber start to swell.

You want it tight enough that you can just shove it in the hole. The locking handle will swell it out the rest of the way when you flip it up.

Quackrstackr said:
ober, there should be a nut on the end opposite the locking handle or it may simply be threaded on. If threaded on, just turn the rubber plug while holding on to the locking handle and it will swell the rubber out. If there is a nut, tighten that nut down some to make the rubber start to swell.

You want it tight enough that you can just shove it in the hole. The locking handle will swell it out the rest of the way when you flip it up.

This is what I bought, see pic. I guess I will try what you said. I didn't realize there was more to it than just taking it out of the package and simply plugging the hole.

Attachments

• fliplock_f.jpg
    fliplock_f.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,211
My drain hole is dented on the top of the hole right at the back of the boat. I have tried using the locking plugs and had the same problem that you have it would just pop right out.

If I use this kind of plug I have no problems at all though

PLUGWITHHANDLE8804209.jpg

bandit said:
My drain hole is dented on the top of the hole right at the back of the boat. I have tried using the locking plugs and had the same problem that you have it would just pop right out.

If I use this kind of plug I have no problems at all though

PLUGWITHHANDLE8804209.jpg

If the twisting doesnt work I will try that one. Thanks, bandit.

Yea Ober, just put it in, and turn it like you are putting in a screw. If it won't tighten, take it out, hold the brass plate on the end and turn it... you should see if it expands then. Untighten it back down a little, but still slightly larger than when it's turned all the way down and see if it will tighten down. That should be your only problem.

I don't like these plugs as much - the handle likes to bend a lot on me. I like using these types of plugs (and if someone posted a pic of it, sorry - but work has cut out all pictures that aren't attachments)

Attachments

• drain plug.jpg
    drain plug.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Those screw plugs work well but they are sometimes hard to use on the internal tube type drains. If they are flush and parallel with the floor, they can be hard to tighten.

I use those on external plug and straight vertical drains.

The plug is one of the few things I don't like about my Triton. It has an external, nylon plug that just has a rubber washer on it. If that unit ever breaks, it's not like I can run to Wal Mart and pick up a plug that is going to work.

21880_0.gif

I really never knew to put it in and tighten! Such an idiot, I am glad that's all it was. I tried it this morning and it was fine. I poured a jug of water on it, not a drop outside of the plug. Wow, really feel stupid, but glad it was a 4.99 fix!

Now, back to West Marine because yesterday I told them I wanted to return something, and rather than do that, they charged me for it again - so I got charged for the same drain plugs twice, sweet!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help. Likely will be taking the rig for some sort of water test today or tomorrow, just to see how it rides with the 9.9.

Those screw plugs work well but they are sometimes hard to use on the internal tube type drains. If they are flush and parallel with the floor, they can be hard to tighten.

The plug is one of the few things I don't like about my Triton. It has an external, nylon plug that just has a rubber washer on it. If that unit ever breaks, it's not like I can run to Wal Mart and pick up a plug that is going to work.

21880_0.gif

quack, have you thought about swapping it out for a stainless steel or brass fitting, my dad has the same type plug on his fiberglass center console but it is the brass version and has never leaked a drop, then you don't have to worry about it breaking

fishinchef said:
quack, have you thought about swapping it out for a stainless steel or brass fitting, my dad has the same type plug on his fiberglass center console but it is the brass version and has never leaked a drop, then you don't have to worry about it breaking

I will go metal when this one starts to give me problems (and it will one of these days).

I get confused on this issue,internal or external plugs.I see a lot of boats with those flip lock plugs on the outside and some of the T style also.I see how a plug could be knocked out and lost if it outside the hull.So is there a right and wrong side to install the plug?All the boats I have been on had the plugs inside unless they where screw in type and some of those were on the outside.So which way is correct on the plug type(not screw in type),inside or out?

If you can access the bilge and there is a flared drain tube, it usually goes on the inside.

Fiberglass boats with enclosed sterns have them on the outside normally. My Triton has it on the outside simply because the rest of their bass boats do, I imagine.