Livewell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2007NNBS

Reaction score
im thinking of building me a removable livewell out of some plastic drums like this

TightHeadDrumPlastic55g.jpg

my dad works at EMC and they get poision in drums like this and he brings the old ones home all the time. They are 28" long and the diameter is 16" on there side. they have two drain holes on one side and i could use this to put my areator in and also use it as a drain. Then i can cut a lid out of the side and hinge it and i beleve it will be a nice addition What do yall think. I sat one in my boat and it fits nice but i will have to make a frame out of aluminum angle to hold it. I think its worth a try since the drum is FREE!

Never know until you try, and as you say, you can't beat the price. Due to the curvature of the barrell, will you be able to get the drain/aerator hose fittings to seal properly? Just a thought.

the 2 caps on the one side there have a threaded 3/4" hole in the center...perfect for a 3/4" areator pump

i have washed it with soap 4 times so i think it may be allright...and i preasure washed it out

Based on those measurements, I'm getting about 24 gallon capacity when full. Is that correct?

This doesn't take into consideration the amount of volume you will have to subtract for your hinged lid being on the side.

Before hooking up aerators etc, I would work on a design for your lid that allows you to keep the most volume of water in it. I'm thinking a longer/narrower lid will yeild better results than a square shaped lid.

I'm guessing it will hold about 18 gallons in that position.

how many gallons would i need to be able to hold...you are right a longer and skinier lid would be best

As a general rule, you shouldn't exceed 1 pound of fish per gallon of water.

This takes into consideration a livewell system that is contsantly delivering oxygen into the livewell and that it's kept at the correct temperature.

Latest posts