New Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndcroy

Reaction score
Hello. Great site. Just purchased a 1985 Grumman 1448 with a 20 HP Merc. Boat/Motor has been sitting inside a garage for a couple of years. I have not tried to start the motor yet. Any tips on what I should do in preparation to start the motor. Will post pics when I can. My first boat so I will have many questions. Thanks

:WELCOME:

I would pull the carb float bowls and see if the carbs need to be cleaned,change any fuel filters,add fresh gas and oil,and also change the plugs.I would try to fire the motor up either on muffs or with a garden hose connector.If she runs,I would move onto checking the lower unit oil,milky means there is bad seals,black means good seals and change oil.Also look for the pee stream to make sure she is pumping water through the motor.If the stream is weak,replace the water pump impeller.This stuff isn't hard to do.Buy a manual for your motor.It will have valuable torque specs for the bolt's,nuts,and screws.

ben2go said:
:WELCOME:

I would pull the carb float bowls and see if the carbs need to be cleaned,change any fuel filters,add fresh gas and oil,and also change the plugs.I would try to fire the motor up either on muffs or with a garden hose connector.If she runs,I would move onto checking the lower unit oil,milky means there is bad seals,black means good seals and change oil.Also look for the pee stream to make sure she is pumping water through the motor.If the stream is weak,replace the water pump impeller.This stuff isn't hard to do.Buy a manual for your motor.It will have valuable torque specs for the bolt's,nuts,and screws.

Wow, sounds like a bunch of stuff I need to be doing!!! Thanks for the information!!!!

add fresh gas and oil

I would go one step further and replace the whole tank unless you can pour out the old gas and clean the tank really well to make sure there is no gelled oil a/o water in the tank. Nothing like old gas and water to really gum up a carb.

CarlF said:
add fresh gas and oil

I would go one step further and replace the whole tank unless you can pour out the old gas and clean the tank really well to make sure there is no gelled oil a/o water in the tank. Nothing like old gas and water to really gum up a carb.

I agree.

CarlF said:
add fresh gas and oil

Great. Yes, the metal gas tank is in pretty bad shape outside. I am going to try to see if it is salvagable, but my gut feeling is toss it and get another one. Trying to cut costs right now what with having to title the trailer today ($105) and register the boat ($74) Thanks for the tips. Ok, going to get a new tank, plugs. Checked lower unit lube. It is a little milky. Will probably just change it out since it has been sitting for a while. Inside looks like new..save the wasp nest. Replaced battery and lights etc work fine. Excited about putting it in the river soon. Thanks again!!

If the LU lube was milky that usually means it is getting water in somewhere and a seal has gone out.

UPDATE!!!! One of my buddies came over yesterday afternoon, who has forgotten more about boats and fishing than I will ever learn. He helped me get my motor going. Debri in the fuel filter (I could not figure out how to get it open....now I know), and a clogged water discharge line (muddabber no less). Changed lower unit grease and all is well. Thanks for the tips.

I have obtained a can of Sea Foam from another friend (cant have enough friends) and plan to add that to my tank of fuel tonight. Now if I can just get a day/night off to go give her a run!!!

Maiden Voyage with the new boat went well. Caught a bunch of nice small mouth and redeye. Only two problems. 1. The motor did not seem to have the power I thought it would...perhaps I had the motor set down too low???? Any ideas. 2. Need lots of practice getting the thing back onto the trailer :D Other than that all was well. The trolling motor is an old one and does not run in one certain position but that is just something I will have to pick up later.

An issue I have with the trailer lights is they all go out when I push the brake pedal on my truck. This seems odd, and another thing I will have to figure out. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks for everything!!

congrats on your new rig, and nice to catch fish too!

I'm new to boating as well and launch/retrieve does gets easier with practice.
The launch deep and retrieve shallow rule works well for me.
I don't drive on the trailer either. I walk it on and winch it the rest of the way.
It always aligns nice and straight on the trailer that way.

The trailer light issue is likely a loose ground. I don't rely on my trailer
for ground path. I ran a separate wire for it.

Hard to say about the motor. Maybe you can provide more details.

jasper60103 said:
congrats on your new rig, and nice to catch fish too!

I'm new to boating as well and launch/retrieve does gets easier with practice.
The launch deep and retrieve shallow rule works well for me.
I don't drive on the trailer either. I walk it on and winch it the rest of the way.
It always aligns nice and straight on the trailer that way.

The trailer light issue is likely a loose ground. I don't rely on my trailer
for ground path. I ran a separate wire for it.

Hard to say about the motor. Maybe you can provide more details.

Thanks. I was thinking it may be the ground between the ball and trailer. Will give that a try.

UPDATE!!!

Well, I have had the boat on the river 4 times now..Catching lots of fish and having lots of fun with my boys. Pictures to follow! Each time I have taken the boat out, the motor seemed sluggish, but I just thought....well thats the best I am gonna get out of a 20 hp motor. After fishing in our favorite spot for a while, I decided it was getting to dark to continue. Started engine, and off we went. All of a sudden, I noticed I had more power.....cranked her open and ohhh my goodness. She was a flyin. So I guess she just needed a little time on the water to get her worked out. Friend of mine said the high jet was probably clogged and came unclogged....

Ok, here is my question for the week. I would like to put some lights my boat to help me with navigation at night and to get the thing back on the trailer at times. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance!

These are the ones I'm using now with good results.
21736_M1.jpg

21740_M1.jpg

Or you can go the hard wired way with these on a switch.
71246_M1.jpg

21542_M1.jpg

If you're going to be on the water after dark, you have to have one or the other.

qbeam.jpg

Can't go wrong with a Q beam. Either battery or 12v powered. Very portable and no installation required. They even make clamp on holders for them.

I've always found that when running at night, its best to rely primarily on ambient light & your natural night vision, only using a spotlight when needed. If you are out when it is pitch black, then probably need to have stayed home anyway!

Get a good spot light, if you dont have a battery on board, some of the rechargable are great, a lot less wait than in the past.

Our sponsor, Blue Water LED, has some great lights for inside the boat, and they don't use much power at all. https://www.bluewaterled.com/

Latest posts