Looking for 1st Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeper reeper

Reaction score
Buddy and I are looking for a small boat to use when we cant get on the big water and I was looking for some advice on best choices-most stable, most room for the $, etc. Both over 6 feet tall and comb weight around 380-400lbs. Like the way you have modified some of the boats out there and we would want one that we could mod as well. Thanks in advance. Oh, and 6-9 hp all we want to outfit it with. KR

A 1448 would be a great place to start. The price will depend a lot on where you're located, but Craigslist is a good place to start looking.

BTW... welcome aboard!

I'll third that, go with a 1448 modv at a minimum. Most jon boats in this size will have an 800 Lb max rating, 500 LB persons rating. So you will be pushing the limit with all your gear, anything smaller than a 1448 and you will be over limit. And less stable.

How big of water?
That has alot to do with it,along with your sizes and gear(weight).
You may want to look at a semi V and if you are talking big water,nothing less then a 16' maybe bigger.IMO

Well the lakes will be 2200 acre or smaller with limits to 10hp motor. Seems that 1448 is the one to find but is that a flat bottom or not? Do you think we can get away with a 42" width? We would probably customize some but really want to get right at fishing this fall with it. Saying that one that is easier to add to is what we are hunting. Give me some manufactures to serch for. Thanks in advance.

keeper reeper said:
By reading more on this site I see some 36" wide boats. Too small? Help

Not saying this to be a jerk, but for guys your size, yes, too small. I am a big guy and I wouldn't go smaller than a 42" floor again.

I think y'all will be okay with a 42". I am not going to say a 36" is too small, as in it will constantly flip, but it will be a pain, and somewhat of a balancing game for folks of your stature. I run a 15.5 footer with a 42 inch bottom, and with elevated casting decks, 2 people can easily fish standing up, and it is stable that when pulling skiers/tubers with it (yes, I do waterski behind it - all 40 horses of it), I can stand on the edge, and grab the arm of whoever was riding, and pull them over, so a combined weight of close to 300 on one gunnel, and it never feels as if it is about to take on water. Of course, mine is a little wider at the top (67") than some, so it does gain a bit of stability there, but chances are, both of y'all aren't going to be standing on the same gunwale at once, and even the two of y'all standing on the edge of one of my casting decks wouldn't be an issue in my rig.