Need a livewell plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I need to get a livewell plug for my 1980 Lowe Big Jon (14 X 48). During the several years it was stored it got lost. I'm not sure of the size but it's bigger than a regular drain plug. I live in Olive Branch, MS a suburb of Memphis, TN. The only Lowe dealers I've found online are a pretty good distance from me - both of them more than 50 miles away. I was wanting to go fishing tomorrow and if I can come up with a temporary replacement I don't have a problem using it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, for a temporary plug, you can use a rubber "cork" stopper. They are available at most auto parts stores. As far as a more premanent plug, check McMaster Carr. They have several sizes of expandable plugs, I'm sure they'd have something that would fit your hole.

I bought a couple from McMaster Carr for my big boat. I put two 4" drains in it but wasn't thinking and bought 4" tube instead of 4" pipe which resulted in the inside diameter being 3.75" None of the local stores had anything that would fit. Everyone around here only carried the sizes common to pipe.

Here is a link to mcmaster carr's site. look under the test plug section in plumbing. All of the plugs are listed by min/max diameter

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1998/=2sd7io

cut a piece of cardboard in the shape of the plug and put it in about 1/2" deep... then put you some silicone caulk on top of it as a temporary fix. The cardboard is only put in to stop the silicone and to hold it in place... I've done this temp fix on main drain plugs when mine have either broken or I lost them and needed a quick fix.

The caulk can be easily removed later

Something else you might can do is put a pipe in it and make sure it goes above the waterline... it should stop filling after it reaches the waterline - I think that's how those work, but maybe others can chime in... you still need to seal around the bottom of it with some silicone or something

you should be able to find a plug to fit it in the plumbing dept at Home Depot or Lowes...

Latest posts