New guy, first boat ever

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdavid1122

Reaction score
I would like to say hi, and I am very glad I found this sight. Well I finally thru in the towel and bought my first boat, due to all the local ponds that I grew up with now being privately owned. It was a local craigslist find and I think I got an ok deal ($1,500) I guess you guys will be the judge of that.
First I would like to tell you guys about the boat and then I have a few questions. I got the boat off an older man that did not use the boat for two years due to health problems. The boat is a 2007 Alumacraft 1436 LT on a Bear trailer, with a 1982 9.8 HP Mercury. The Mercury looks brand new and runs well, started on the third pull. It also came with a fish finder, two seats, and a floor that the previous owner installed.
On the way home I noted the boat bouncing around a lot, and the motor was turning back and forth. I would have a car come up behind me, than back off ten car lengths right away, so I know it had to look scary form their point of view. So when I got home I searched the web and found a transom saver. I went to work making a custom one for my rig. I would like some input on this, see if it looks ok to you guys.
Then last night I found this forum and found a section on towing, and it gave some very good advice. After reading I went out to the boat and noticed that the back of the boat hung off the trailer by almost 2 feet, defiantly adding to the bounciness of the boat. The previous owner told me that he pulled this boat (not very far, he lived on the river) with a Chevy Cavalier. So maybe he did it to aid in launching the boat, not wanting to swamp his car at the ramp? Luckily it is a bolted trailer so I moved the boat forward on the trailer today. About how much distance do you want from the front of the boat to the back of the truck?
I have not had this boat out fishing yet kind of afraid of damaging it..lol. So any advice as to what to take out with me, extra spark plugs, basic hand tools, exe, would be greatly appreciated.

see my boat at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdavidvr6b/sets/72157621542286969/

The only issue I see with the trailer and boat bouncing is the lack of transom hold down straps.

I only take spark plugs,adjustable wrench,pliers,and screw drivers when I go out.

Nice boat for the price. Looks like mine as far as shape and size.

Welcome & enjoy the boat!

I really find this site to be very helpful and I think you'll agree.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have hold down straps on the transom just did not take good pictures. My winch post look like it should lower, but it will not. I loosened the bolt and wacked it with a piece of wood and a hammer, it did not move. So maybe it is welded on the inside some ware. I will have to take off the bow stop and see what I can do. The end of the winch post is almost to the top of the bow, so I will have to make some kind of bracket to lower it.

On a side note I am enjoying this forum very much. I will not even post on most other forums, because I know there are guys just wanting to be A-holes. :roll:

hey and welcome to tinboats. i have the same exact boat.ive done a lot of work to mine and have caught a lot of fishout of it.ill try to post a picture,if i can figure out how too.

Take out some basic tools (hammer, adjustable wrench, extra nuts, bolts and sheet metal screws) , an extra spark plug, spark plug wrench, spare prop and pin, wire, extra plug and spray lubricant (WD-40) at the very minimum. If you are making a long run, think about any thing else you might need to fix to get back - extra fuel line and bulb is always good to have handy.

Latest posts