Anyone on tinboats have experience painting fiberglass?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Well today someone swooped in and bought my beloved 14 foot jon. I worked hard on it, and im sad to see it go.

On the bright side, I managed to get 1400 bucks.. in michigan with its crap economy!

Im looking into an 18 foot ranger from the 80's. Its an ugly brown color, and I was wondering what it would take to paint fiberglass. I saw that pettite makes a sandless fiberglass primer, and it looks like they suggest an anti fouling paint.

Anyone have experience painting fiberglass, or if you dont, can you shed some light on the process?

My uncle owns 2 collision shops, so Im hoping I can pull some strings and borrow the paint booth over the weekend this winter. I just don't know how to get an 18 foot boat into a good position to paint it... not like i can flip it over and paint the hull like on my jon ;)

There's no substitute for a good sanding,prime,and paint.Your boat won't experience marine growth,unless it set in sea water,so no expensive antifouling paint is needed.I use Interlux on fiberglass.It can be sprayed or rolled on.The directions are on the can.I always followed them to a T and never had issues.I painted two cathedral hulls,a bass boat,and a fiberglass style Jon boat.Never had any problems with them.Awlgrip is another quality product but I have no experience with it.

It will be a trailered boat, but with be stored outside all year round. My main concern is damage to the paint when loading and unloading. I need to find something tough that will last a long time (and look good).

And in your experience was the process painstaking? I'm not TOO worries about getting in over my head, but I'm definitely new to fiberglass painting and prep.

I think I'll give the folks at pettite paints a call tomorrow, I've heard they have excellent customer support and advice.

dyeguy1212 said:
And in your experience was the process painstaking? I'm not TOO worries about getting in over my head, but I'm definitely new to fiberglass painting and prep.

I think I'll give the folks at pettite paints a call tomorrow, I've heard they have excellent customer support and advice.

Not really.Just gotta have some patients and not rush things.It's easier if you can flip the hull,but it's not nesassary.Tipping the boat over on it's side a little will help.Make sure it is supported very well so it doesn't fall or roll over on you.

I painted a Terry fiberglass several years ago. I did as ben2go suggested and flipped the boat to prep it. I sanded the entire boat then used automotive primer then paint with a catalyst hardener. I added 1 1/2 times the recommended hardener to the paint. I used that boat nearly every weekend of the spring and summer for 3 years and the only scraps and scratches were on the underneath where I would park it on the bank of a lake when camping. A good stick on keel protector would have kept this from happening. I read, and was told by people that auto paint will not stand up to being in the water on a continuous basis such as mooring in a slip at a boat dock which I did not do. But It was in the water many three day and two night camping trips with no problem.

I talked to my uncle a while back about using auto paint on boats (the owner for the collisions shops mentions before). He said it wasnt a good idea, but that was back when I had a tin boat, with plenty of flex. I'm not that familiar with fiberglass, but don't they have a bit of flew too? I cant imagine its much more than a car, but i dont know.

Ok slow down you can paint glass or tin, just use different primers.

With Plastic they now make a primer that has a MEKP catylizt. This is good stuff cost a few dollars more. then use any auto paint thats 2 part.

Lots of sanding before the primer and applu a couple good coats and sand with 600 grit wet or dry and you should be fine.

Fresh water will grow all kinds of crap, from scum green moss to Didymo alge. But the boat must be sitting in the water for this to happen.

Xwife and I use to clean sailboat hulls on fresh water lakes in north Arkansas.

Anyway of the metal flake is showing thru a good cheap clear coat can build enough to cover it, I use Western Brand its $110.00 a gallon with hardener.

I also have a 22 ft tin boat we painted, none of the paint has cracked or peeled off, its been knocked off but thats all. Just sand and prime then paint and keep the paint thin you just want the color to cover the tin.