Modding my SeaKing 1242 Semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohm

Reaction score
Well sense I pretty much have all of the repairs done, I am going to start a new thread on the modifying side of the boat. I went this evening and sanded most of the old paint down, I didn't bother too much where it was going to be covered or in tight corners or the bottom and I got it off the gunnels, I am going to leave that plain. I also took a torch to the old decals and then used a wire wheel to remove the charred remains :D Tomorrow I well probably pressure wash the inside again and take 50/50 water vinegar and clean the inside for paint.

I went and picked up a gallon of white vinegar today and gave the boat a good scrub, I just mixed the vinegar 50/50 with water and used a green Scotch Brite pad to scrub with. Here is a Photo of the outside half done, seems to get the oxidation off pretty well.
CleanPrime.jpg

And both sides clean
CleanPrime2.jpg

Here is a photo of the inside after scrubbing it down.
CleanPrime3.jpg

And after one coat of primer, using a foam roller to apply it, I wish I could thin it down and spray it but the can says not too but this seems to be working ok and I well try and spray the paint.
CleanPrime4.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to try putting another coat of primer on.

looks like a nice project boat. Think things out before you do them. It goes much easier with an overall plan down to how you plan on routing any electrical.
Good luck, you are off to a great start.

It's about 40" at the bottom of the transom and 42" in the middle bottom. I am not sure what I am going to have electrical wise but I figure it well all be mounted in the rear of the boat and the rear well be decked from the rear seat back to cover the gas tank, tool box, fire extinguisher ect. There should be more then enough room back there to mount a battery as well as a transom mounted trolling motor and fish finder. The front seat is being boxed in to make a storage area for the anchor and lines. The insides of the sides well be painted as well as the bow area and vertical supports for the seats, I am replacing the small aluminum seat supports with larger ones made from 1/2" ply. The tops of the seats, rear deck and the removable floor sections well be carpeted. Since I am dropping on my nice old SeaKing 12h.p. on the back I am replacing the transom plates with Oak and extending them further down the transom and I am going to make gussets to go between the transom and rear deck to provide even more support, should be pretty stout. Also all of the wood well be coated with marine epoxy because I have a bunch of it.

Anyway, that's the plan all spelled out, I need to get another sheet of ply for the floor, a 1x8 oak plank and some carpet and all the other assorted fasteners ect and that should be it.

I was just on craigslist and someone has an old 14lb thrust gamefisher trolling motor listed for $25, would this be large enough for my boat? Here is the listing https://salem.craigslist.org/boa/1280548048.html

ohm said:
I was just on craigslist and someone has an old 14lb thrust gamefisher trolling motor listed for $25, would this be large enough for my boat? Here is the listing https://salem.craigslist.org/boa/1280548048.html

I would honestly hold out for at least a 30lbs thrust model.Minn Kota seems to be the popular choice and you can get parts for most of them.The Gamefisher trolling motors don't have very much speed control either.

it all depends on the size of the water your on. I would keep an eye out for a newer 30# thrust or higher you'll be a lot happier in the long run.....you beat me to it ben I couldn't type fast enough.

I think I well, sometimes they pop up with batteries too, a few weeks ago there was a great deal for a 30 lb minkota, marine battery and fishfinder for $200, just didn't have $200 at the time :cry:

keep an eye out for a used trolling motor but buy the battery new. you have no idea what other people have done to the batteries (ie charged properly, maintained properly, ect) plus you will get whatever warranty is included with a new battery. You can get a new one for under $75.

Lookin good man, the ribs and internals of our boats is almost exactly the same.

I just picked up a new TM, so i have somethin you may be intersted in. ill be in keizer tomorrow so i could drop it off too... :beer:

img0421f.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't die of fright sitting next to the old 12 hp. Here is a vid of that just for kicks :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXxLWJ3E6Y0

I got another coat of primer on this morning before it got too hot and I also masked off the boat some more so I can spray it tomorrow, we well see how that goes.

Well after hacking away at the yard this morning I managed to get a coat of paint on the inside, took pretty much the whole can and since I was using a touch up gun I had to refill it about 6 times, should have used the big gun :roll: I went and picked up another can of paint so I well have some to paint the seats ect. Anyway here is a pic :D
Paint.jpg

Latest posts