front deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmaster730

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently started fixing up an old 12 foot flat bottom jon boat that i actually found floating around in the middle of nowhere. Any way I just started building a front casting deck and I was wondering how critical it is to seal the wood. To be honest all i really want to do is finish this project up and go fishing! If the deck ends up rotting out in the next year or so however i know ill regret the decision.

Any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

fishmaster730 said:
Hey everyone I recently started fixing up an old 12 foot flat bottom jon boat that i actually found floating around in the middle of nowhere. Any way I just started building a front casting deck and I was wondering how critical it is to seal the wood. To be honest all i really want to do is finish this project up and go fishing! If the deck ends up rotting out in the next year or so however i know ill regret the decision.

Any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can take a look at a bunch of threads here, as well as mine, and see that the best idea is to at least seal it with a quality water sealer. I used Behr's but I am also adding spar varnish, several coats to ensure the wood does not rot quickly. I know it's going to rot someday, I am just trying to get a few years at least out of it. I will post pics later of what I did.