1968 Richline

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderxj

Reaction score
Going up north to WI to get my new to me boat. My uncle gave this ole '68 Richline 16' with a 1953 Johnson Seahorse 10hp. boat just needs cleaned and the motor runs like a sewing machine. here is a coupple crummy phone pics from the 4th when i was up there. Also bringing home early '40s Scott-Atwater that my dad and i have had for years, need rebuilt. This winter hope do a few additions/updates

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 578
  • motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 578
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 578
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 578
thanx all. the boat, and motor other than cosmetics have been pretty well taken care of over the years, both have been in the family since new. Not shure what the Johnson was on before the Richline.

p.s. this site is awsome, so many ideas and info, i dont know were to begin! :?:

nice boat. just like mine only 2 ft longer. do you know what the max motor size is for that boat?

stew6371 said:
nice boat. just like mine only 2 ft longer. do you know what the max motor size is for that boat?

40hp, still got the original transom tag!

little update also... went up north, rolled her out of the shed, little fresh gas, and away we went. My brother and I had 1 day to fish while we were there and it rains... poors rain... didn't stop us, dropped the ole boat in the lake (Carlin Lake WI, just south of Presque Isle lake) and we had the best 1 day of fishing on that lake we ever had!

Got the boat home, painted the trailer, replaced the seats, and re-wired the long since removed bow nav light, that luckly staid with the boat. I'll get some pics up tommrow.

Took small outing with the wife to Evergreen Lake in Bloomington on sunday, not much luck wrong time of day, really just wanted to get the boat out on the water :mrgreen: It still blows my mind how well that old Seahorse runs.

thanks for the welcome again!

ok finally had the time to get the pics, not great, but shows the progress.

Attachments

• nav1.jpg
    nav1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 460
  • seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 460
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 460
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 460
  • trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 460
If you really want it to look nice, use marine varnish. Not only will it protect, but if you do it right, it will look amazing. If you are going to carpet over it or something, then just use a quality water sealer like Behr's or Thompson's. I went with marine varnish, 3 coats minimum, and think that it will hold up better than water sealer (actually water sealed it first, then lightlyyy sanded, then varnish). I used Cabot's but make sure you mix it really well, the good stuff is on the bottom.

I talked to a guy that was a wood worker about varnishing. He said to go with like 200 grit between each coat, and then toward the end, go with something super super fine, which you won't find at a Home Depot or Lowes. He showed me some stuff he did, and wow, amazing. I'm sure you can google it and find it out. My father also varnished some wood with a lot of success that I surely thought was bought, lol. He also said the trick is multiple multiple coats with light sanding. Might have gone off on a tangent here, but thought I'd give you something to think about.

Latest posts