Ignition switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
This pertains to the post I started about a new project I may be starting (View Thread at: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9604

My question is, the people that have the boat haven't been able to find the key to it. I'm wondering how big of a deal it is to replace the ignition switch. I looked at the picture I took of the console and I don't even see the ignition there which makes me wonder if it isn't on the throttle control of the motor. (I seem to remember that I'd seen some of them there. Am I right or wrong here? I've never owned a boat that has a steering wheel, I'm just going from memory here.) Is there a specific type of ignition you have to get or could an ignition switch from a lawn tractor or something like that work?

Thanks guys!

Mike

I have driven some boats that had the key switch on the throttle/shift control box.It may be there.It shouldn't be a big deal to use a lawn tractor switch.The relay for the starter is usually on the motor so there shouldn't be any high amperage flowing through the switch to burn it out.If you want it in the console, just extend the wires up to where you want it.

Mike,

I am not 100% positive sure on the MAriners however, I think if you look on the back side of the control box you will see the switch. Get the number off the switch and contact Mariner. They should be able to send you a replacement key. I know this to be feasiable for the Evinrude eTec motors so I would think the same would be possible for Mariner.

Is the switch on the console? If so - just swap it out for a new one - you can get them at any boat supply place.

I lost the key to a boat and did just that with little effort

I'm about 99% certain that it is on the throttle control box. Whether it is on the rear or on the side, I am not so certain. I can't remember when they moved them from the side to the rear.

Cool. I was going to go down and pick that boat up tonight but my son is at church camp this week and one of the minister's called and said that he (my son) wants to get baptized tonight and wants us to be there. So, it's time for a ROAD TRIP!!!

Congrats on your son....as for the missing key, carry the boat by the local dealership and they should have spare keys they can let you try and see which one fits and they they will sell you one. My local boat dealer here has a giant key ring with all of the different keys on it, he goes out to your boat finds the right one walks back in and it is less than 10 bucks.....Good luck...
Flintcreek