Aluminum Paint Removal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sureshot

Reaction score
If anyone has stripped paint of an aluminum before what was your method? I know some chemicals will hurt the metal, but its easier. But ive also heard that sanding and power tools are safer but more work.

Chemicals or tools?

I just got a new 14 ft by 5 ft aluminum jon boat and am slowly going to mod it into a bass boat. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Evan

Sureshot said:
If anyone has stripped paint of an aluminum before what was your method? I know some chemicals will hurt the metal, but its easier. But ive also heard that sanding and power tools are safer but more work.

Chemicals or tools?

I just got a new 14 ft by 5 ft aluminum jon boat and am slowly going to mod it into a bass boat. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Evan

Elbow grease. Easily the worst part of any mod, lol. I used a wire brush for HOURS.

hey if you do any sanding of any kind......use a mask,sanding on aluminum is dangerous if you breath any of that dust in to your lungs.been there done that. :shock:

Must be a new to you 14/5' boat.
Why would you take good paint off otherwise?

lizard drager said:
hey if you do any sanding of any kind......use a mask,sanding on aluminum is dangerous if you breath any of that dust in to your lungs.been there done that. :shock:

And eye wear. I used swimming goggles after the first day. My eyes were BLOOD SHOT read and in awful shape!

WhiteMoose said:
Has anyone tried a sandblaster?

If you use a sand blaster, you may want to use a light medium such as wallnut shells or even lighter, not to mention turn your air down. sand or grit will be way too harsh for that surface. if you decide to do this, I suggest get you a piece of simular material and test your set up on it first so you dont blast holes that you dont want or need in your boat....

WhiteMoose said:

Soda blasting removes almost all traces of paint and a matte finish on the metal.In some cases it's ready for a wipe down and primer after blasting.Make sure the blaster knows to blast across the seems and not into them.That will cause leaks.

ben2go said:
WhiteMoose said:

Soda blasting removes almost all traces of paint and a matte finish on the metal.In some cases it's ready for a wipe down and primer after blasting.Make sure the blaster knows to blast across the seems and not into them.That will cause leaks.

I know a ret'd Air Force Colonel that is part of a military plane restoration/museum group, and they use the baking soda blasting on the planes.

Yes, its a new to me boat, its my first. Im going to post some pictures up in the modding section to see what you guys think i should do.

After you removed the old paint what was you route of painting?

I used a product called Strypper or something like that, from Lowe's. Will take the paint off. I was wanting something to take the carpet glue off. It took paint and all off the few painted areas that also had glue on them.

talltimber said:
I was wanting something to take the carpet glue off. It took paint and all off the few painted areas that also had glue on them.

To remove carpet glue try Xylol. Soak the carpet and let it set a while and then use a scraper.

Latest posts