Tiller to console conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
Ok aluminuts :lol: . I need some direction. Where could I find a resourcse for the parts, cables, etc. to convert a johnson tiller steer/throttle into a console steering / throttle (if there is such a monster) :?:

if you had a mercury i would trade with you. Try searching craigslist or other outdoor sites in your area for a used parts. other wise google your motor for parts and there are a lot of distributers that can help you out.

im wanting to know the same thing...im having problems finding any remote motors 90% of them are tiller

Sell and buy a remote steer with controls.If your engine was produced in a tiller and remote model,it should be as simple as buying the brackets,controls,and steering.Some may require carb changes or different cowls.

You can find out what parts you need by looking at an electronic catalog like this one https://shop2.evinrude.com . You'll have to dive down into menus to find your particular motor. You can view a diagram of the parts, too, so you can see what is involved. Then, you can buy the parts from them or other suppliers. The parts will be new and cost more than used parts which you might be able to find on ebay. Another strategy is to find a similar dead motor with remote steering. Buy it cheap since it doesn't run, and strip off the steering parts. Typical for johnson was that the same parts were used on the same hp motors for many years at a time. So, the parts from a 1982 motor may well be the same as for a 1987 motor, for example.

Ken

Nevillizer said:
Ok aluminuts :lol: . I need some direction. Where could I find a resourcse for the parts, cables, etc. to convert a johnson tiller steer/throttle into a console steering / throttle (if there is such a monster) :?:

What size and year of Johnson are you working on, I am going the opposite way (remote to tiller) 40hp.
Maybe a swap if you are interested.

The motor is a Johnson 9.9 Mid 80's model. I think I found out what I needed but any more info is always helpful.

Latest posts